Sony XBR-65X850E, Unable to play 4k mkv files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
bubb4

Sony XBR-65X850E, Unable to play 4k mkv files

Post by bubb4 »

I have been using UMS for a while from my Playstation 4 with no issues. I'm trying to use it on a new 4k television using the VLC app. I have no issues with any existing 1080p or 720p mkv files but when I attempt to launch any 4k mkv files they fail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Logs are attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(111 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
bubb4

Re: Sony XBR-65X850E, Unable to play 4k mkv files

Post by bubb4 »

Please let me know if there is any additional information that would be helpful.
If the logs provided are inadequate I can update with whatever is needed.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Try to add

Code: Select all

MaxVideoWidth = 3840
MaxVideoHeight = 2160
to your renderer conf (Sony-BraviaXBR.conf)
bubb4

Post by bubb4 »

I added that information but it's the first time I've edited one of the .conf files. I attached a file showing what the .conf file looks like after editing in notepad++:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (46.36 KiB) Viewed 6990 times
If I edited this incorrectly, please let me know.

After making this change, I no longer get an error but when I attempt to launch a video it just displays a black screen with no audio or video. I let it sit at the black screen for approximately 10min before closing VLC. The new log only shows this:

16:11:10 INFO Started playing filename.mkv on your XBR-65X850E
16:19:20 INFO Stopped playing filename.mkv on your XBR-65X850E

any ideas?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You need to make new debug files, they will show much more than what you quote above.
bubb4

Post by bubb4 »

Sorry about that, it did start playing after restarting UMS but the video is very choppy and freezes a lot. I have a gigabit router so I would assume my network would handle 4k streaming?
I've attached the new logs. They should show results from playing a 1080p mkv (worked fine) and then a 4k mkv which had issues.
Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(117.82 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm not saying that it's causing it, but I can see that you're using a 32 bit JRE/Java version. Since you have Window 7 64 but, you should use a 64 but JRE as well for better memory management. Oracle's Java download will default to the bitness of you browser, so it will download the 32 bit version if you use a 32 bit browser (which isn't really very logical for normal people, but it's because Oracle want their Java plugin with the browser to work). You must explicitly select the 64 bit version to get it.

I can see in your log that chunked transfer is enabled for your renderer, and it seems to me that something is broken in UMS with the handling of the chunks. I'm not completely sure of this though, but the sizes of the chunks seems way to small and the corresponding code doesn't make any sense to me. There are two things you can try to simply avoid the problem.

- Try running UMS with "use HTTPv2" turned off. Restart UMS after changing the setting.
- Try disabling chunked transfer in "Google-Android.conf" by setting "ChunkedTransfer = false".

You don't have to try both of the above at once, try either or. I'm not sure why, but it seems that the TV is treated like a "generic Android" instead of using Sony-BraviaXBR.conf in this log, which is triggering the use of chunked transfer. This is also true for the file that plays fine, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem - but I suspect that using such small chunks might be too slow for a high-bitrate transfer like 4K.
bubb4

Post by bubb4 »

It seemed to work better but it's still freezing quite a lot. I tried disabling "Use HTTPv2" first and there was no change. I believe editing the chunktransfer= entry helped a bit.

I've attached new logs. Thanks again for your assistance.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(105.71 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It might simply be that your bandwidth isn't enough. It seems to me that this TV has both wire and wireless network. Are you using the wired or the wireless connection? If you're using Wifi, please try to connect it using a network cable instead and see if that makes a difference.