Renderer not found on PS4 4th Jan 2018

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sharaak

Renderer not found on PS4 4th Jan 2018

Post by Sharaak »

Hey All,

I have been having an absolute ball ache of a time managing my Windows Firewall with Universal Media Server and I think its literally just packed up on me haha. I have made sure that port 5001 has been port forwarded to my server pc and have enabled apps, folders and programs contatining javaw.exe, ums.exe, wrapper.exe and my PS4 is still not showing in UMS. Im sure its a firewall issue but im buggered if I can see why so I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction. I have attatched my debug files as requested this time :).

Thanks in advance.
Andrew.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(29.85 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Nadahar

Re: Renderer not found on PS4 4th Jan 2018

Post by Nadahar »

I don't understand your network setup. Port forwarding 5001 won't work and shouldn't be done, you don't want UMS to be reachable from the internet (or do you mean port forward in the Windows firewall?). What matters is the firewall on the computer running UMS. The firewall in your router isn't involved.

The best way to test if it is indeed the firewall is to simply disable it (still the one on the computer running UMS) and see if that solves it. Port 5001 is used to deliver the media content, but is not used in discovery (that is: finding each other). That is done with multicast on port 1900. Multicast is complicated to route correctly, so it's easiest to just consider it unroutable. That means that the computer running UMS and the PS4 must be on the same subnet, i.e. not separated by a router.

A common problem is that one device is on wifi and the other is wired, and the router is configured so that wifi and wired are separate subnets. In that configuration it won't work regardless of your firewall settings.

If they are on separate subnets, try to configure your wifi router in bridge/transparent/AP mode. If they are on the same subnet, try disabling the firewall on the UMS computer.
Sharaak

Post by Sharaak »

I have attacthed a horrible picture of my network setup to try and help you understand my setup....I thought that the port forwarding on my router was to driect my other pc's and ps4 to my main pc. Is that wrong? I have to be honest I like playing with networks but dont fully understand how they work.
Attachments
Untitled-1.fw.png
Untitled-1.fw.png (97.09 KiB) Viewed 9987 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Hubs and switches doesn't impact these signals so they can be ignored. Only routers "count". The DG834 seems to be an ADSL router, so I assume it's your internet router. If all is wired, you shouldn't have to change anything in it. It seems to have an internal 4 port switch in it, which I assume you to connect the PS4, one PC and the hub to. You should not do any port forwarding in this router for any UMS ports.

Which PC is running UMS, and how are the IP addresses configured? Are you running DHCP in the router, DHCP on one of the computers or are you using static IP addresses?
Sharaak

Post by Sharaak »

All im using the DG834 is literally a switch so my PS4 and a PC connect into that. Then another ethernet cable runs directly to my BT Homehub 6 which is my main router and then 3 other PCs run into that Hub. The main PC which I use is to the bottom of the picture. Everything is wired. The port forwarding is on my homehub which I have listed which ports are open.

The Main PC pictured is the one running UMS. IP addresses are allocated automatically by Windows 10. DHCP is active on the Homehub6. I believe they are dynamic ip addresses
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, I'm not familiar with the Homehub products, be the name is misleading. I thought it was an old fasion hub, what we used to use before switches. If it's a router it might change things, but as far as I can see it too has a 4 port switch built in - which I assume you use for connecting the two PC's and the other router (used as a switch). Port forwarding is for letting traffic coming from the "outside"/internet reach things on the inside, which isn't relevant for UMS. UMS only works locally, so there should be no port forwarding active. However, if you want to have wireless devices connected to the Homehub to see UMS, the Wifi network and the wired network can't be separated.

The easiest way to figure out if they (UMS computer and the PS4) is on the same subnet is to compare their IP addresses. Can you find what IP address the PS4 currently has?

This is what I can see from the log:
UMS is running on 192.168.1.233
A Chromecast is on 192.168.1.136
A UPnP enabled router is on 192.168.1.254

I see no trace of a PS4, which leads me to believe it's on a different subnet.
Sharaak

Post by Sharaak »

Im sorry I made a mistake here. There is a PS4 upstairs which also needs access to UMS not a PC

Yeah sure:

Main PC has 192.168.1.233
downstairs PS4 has 192.168.1.229
Downstairs PC Number 3 is 192.168.1.230
Donstairs PC Number 2 is 192.168.1.183
upstairs PS4 is 192.168.1.215

Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 on all

I believe this is all correct. The Homehub6 is indeed a router and has a 4 port switch
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Then I'm a bit lost. Given that they have the same subnet mask or use the same DHCP, this should work. It's a bit strange that UMS could see your Chromecast (which is on Wifi) and the router on 192.168.1.254, but none of the PS4s. Try to remove the UMS port-forwardings to make sure they don't keep things from working. If your firewall was the problem, it shouldn't be possible to see the Chromecast or the router either.
Sharaak

Post by Sharaak »

Allright slight update all of my wireless devices are being picked up by UMS now. That includes my

mobile phone 192.168.1.130
Iphone 192.168.1.64
Firestick 192.168.1.136

All I did was cancel the 5001 port forward
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You should remove the 1900 port forward as well. I don't know what the 2869 port forward is, but it's not needed by UMS.

Your PS4's still can't see UMS?