Running UMS Without User Being Logged On

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
uniluke

Running UMS Without User Being Logged On

Post by uniluke »

Hi Everyone,
My UMS runs at sturtup after I have logged in on Windows 10 pro.
I now need to run it when there is no user logged in. I mean, I'd like to run it just a while after I press on my pc power button without using screen and keyboard.
Is it possible?
Thanks
Nadahar

Re: Running UMS Without User Being Logged On

Post by Nadahar »

It is possible, but you'd need some computer skills. To achieve what you want, you need to install UMS as a service (there's a button for that on the General tab). However, running UMS as a service pose some challenges. Most people that do, get into problems for the simple reason that you can not run more than once instance of UMS without getting errors.

A Windows service has no GUI. Because of that, you need to configure it using the configuration files (text files). Alternatively you can start UMS as an application when you want to do configuration changes. If you do, you MUST stop the service first. You need to make sure you never run both the service and the application at the same time. The service can be started and stopped from "services.msc".

There's one additional problem, as Microsoft will nag you a lot if you turn of the Windows firewall on Windows 10 you're pretty much guaranteed to be using it. Java automatically installs filewall rules to allow traffic to Java programs, but these rules don't apply to the UMS service, so the service will be blocked by the firewall by default. To make it work you must add rules to the "wrapper.exe" that the service is running as (look in "services.msc" to find the exact location) that allows all incoming access for TCP port 5001, 9001 and 1900 plus UDP port 1900.
uniluke

Post by uniluke »

I think I made it by using the Windows Task Scheduler. It seems to be working properly.
Anyway, I don't see any Windows service button on the General tab.
Thanks
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know if using the task scheduler is a good solution, but I don't really know the consequences of that so it might be fine for all I know.

The button is located on the 4. line of the General tab, unless you have enabled "Hide advanced options". If you are hiding "advanced" options you don't have much settings at all.