PS4 Playback Issues Over WiFi

For help and support with Universal Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
marx

PS4 Playback Issues Over WiFi

Post by marx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 am

I've been having an issue with UMS/PS4 Media Player playback. When I play a video, it will sit loading for at least a few minutes. Eventually, I'll either get a message stating that the media could not be played or the video will play but only a second or two at a time, stopping to buffer almost constantly.

I was able to play the same video on a Vizio Smart TV. It had some different issues, but at least played video with watchable consistency.

My PC is hardwired but everything else is wireless, which is the first thing I normally would blame, however in my troubleshooting I was able to play any video via Plex on a laptop without issues (though that still wasn't working with the PS4, so I abandoned that for UMS). As well, I have mo issues streaming Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. The PS4's "Test Internet Connection" utility pretty consistently comes back with 20-60+ Mbps with a consistent high 90's signal strength. I haven't actually tried a hard line to the PS4 only because I don't have a long enough cable.

I feel like I've tried a little of everything. I'd appreciate any tips!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(61.04 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Sami32

Re: PS4 Playback Issues Over WiFi

Post by Sami32 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 am

You should try to go in the "General Configuration" tab and select "Use automatic maximum bandwidth".
After that you should try again and post a new trace log if it still doesn't work.
That should confirm or at least give us a more precise picture of your issue.

EDIT:
You could also try to modify the PS4 renderer as following:

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3
#TranscodedVideoFileSize = -1
or

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
#TranscodedVideoFileSize = -1