Why An Asterisk At Front Of Displayed Movie Name

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
rh1234

Why An Asterisk At Front Of Displayed Movie Name

Post by rh1234 »

I did a search on "asterisk" and only found a few hits, none of them related to my question. So... I'm posting here.

I installed the latest version of UMS and so far seems to work great serving movies to my wireless Sony Blue Ray player/TV. I have noticed, however, that on several of the listed movies (only a few--not all of them) an asterisk appears before the movie name (as displayed on the TV screen). I checked the actual file on the server PC and do not see any asterisks.

Can anyone tell me what this indicates?

Thank you.
Nadahar

Re: Why An Asterisk At Front Of Displayed Movie Name

Post by Nadahar »

I've seen an asterix placed in front of or after media names as well on some renderers. I don't know what it "means", but that's probably different for different renderers. UMS isn't placing this asterix, this is something your renderer does to indicate something. You should consult your renderer manual or just ignore it.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@rh1234 Sony have habit to append an asterisk to the filename of the media when their name is not DLNA compliant.
So you can safely ignore it as long your media play, other way just rename your media file.
rh1234

Post by rh1234 »

Sami32 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am @rh1234 Sony have habit to append an asterisk to the filename of the media when their name is not DLNA compliant.
So you can safely ignore it as long your media play, other way just rename your media file.
Thank you Sami32. I will give the renaming method a try. Appreciate your reply.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@rh1234 You are welcome.
As i don't have Sony renderer, i just looked at some Sony manuals.
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

@sami32 can you point me to the mentioned doc explaining a DLNA complaint name?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@atamariya I don't think he means that it depends on if the name itself is DLNA compliant, but if the resource is. That means using a correct DLNA profile and the other DLNA fields (PS, FLAGS etc) and using the defined MIME-type for that profile.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@atamariya Sure.
File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3™ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3™ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... tdlna.html