External subtitles don't show up.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
avada

Re: External subtitles don't show up.

Post by avada »

Thanks for looking at it!
Nadahar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 pm Code: Select all

"50PUS6162/12" with dlna details: {friendlyName=50PUS6162/12, address=192.168.1.5, udn=uuid:13f6f296-9f91-1be4-a3c6-f828193d6f22, manufacturer=, modelName=, modelNumber=, modelDescription=IPI Media Renderer, manufacturerURL=}

I guess the only thing you can do is to try to change the Visio SmartTV configuration to add support for both of the external subtitles "hacks", and see if any of them work.
Where do I put this?
Nadahar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 pm I kind of doubt it though, in which case there is no way around burning in the subtitles by transcoding.
Can subtitles be muxed? (Without any A/V transcoding of course) I know the TV supports internal subtitles even through DLNA.

PS:
What's the purpose of those hashtagged transcode and live subtitles folders I see appearing. I checked the latter but but starting playback withing doesn't seem to be any different than normal playback.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Somebody with more knowledge of the renderer configuration should tell you how to enable it, or you could look at the renderer configuration settings yourself: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... derer.conf

Theoretically it should be possible to mux them if the output container supports it. I don't know the details of this though, and there's no such implementation in UMS that I'm aware of. In any case, UMS doesn't really separate between remuxing or converting the codecs themselves, it's all called "transcoding" as the output will have to be generated on-the-fly. As far as I know, UMS doesn't reencode audio or video if the codec can be used as-is, so this is already done when transcoding when applicable, but I haven't seen any implementation that muxes external subtitles in.

The TRANSCODE folder is a folder where you can manually choose which combination of transcoding engine (including none), audio and subtitles track. The configuration makes UMS pick a combination automatically, which is used when you play the file outside the TRANSCODE folder. Some times the configuration isn't detailed enough to pick the correct combination, or the user want to test another combination, which is when the TRANSCODE folder is very handy.

LIVE SUBTITLES will look at OpenSubtitles.org for matching subtitles for the video and let you choose one that is automatically downloaded and used during playback. There's a lot of bugs/issues with the current implementation, and I've just reimplemented it completely in this PR. This reimplementation isn't yet merged or released though.
avada

Post by avada »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 am Theoretically it should be possible to mux them if the output container supports it. I don't know the details of this though, and there's no such implementation in UMS that I'm aware of. In any case, UMS doesn't really separate between remuxing or converting the codecs themselves, it's all called "transcoding" as the output will have to be generated on-the-fly. As far as I know, UMS doesn't reencode audio or video if the codec can be used as-is, so this is already done when transcoding when applicable, but I haven't seen any implementation that muxes external subtitles in.
Well this is sad. More complex/problematic transcoding is implemented, but muxing subtitles isn't. Well, as a first try the "remux videos with tsmuxer when possible [...]" option doesn't help.
Nadahar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 pm Code: Select all

"50PUS6162/12" with dlna details: {friendlyName=50PUS6162/12, address=192.168.1.5, udn=uuid:13f6f296-9f91-1be4-a3c6-f828193d6f22, manufacturer=, modelName=, modelNumber=, modelDescription=IPI Media Renderer, manufacturerURL=}

I guess the only thing you can do is to try to change the Visio SmartTV configuration to add support for both of the external subtitles "hacks", and see if any of them work.
Okay, so does this belong to the Vizio-SmartTV.conf file? Doesn't seem to be the same syntax.
And is this even how to enable the both "hacks", or did you paste it for some other reason? Not sure of the purpose. I want to at least try these hacks.