DLNA buffering on gigabit network

For help and support with Universal Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
zeus0r

DLNA buffering on gigabit network

Post by zeus0r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 am

hey there!

following setup:

win7 pc with ultimate media server ---------------- unitymedia connectbox router (gigabit lan ports) ---------------- philips 55pos901 tv (everything connected via ethernet cable)

when playing high bitrate files (~70 Mbit/s) on my TV via DLNA it starts buffering after some time. (pretty randomly - sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after an hour)

what could cause this? i mean 0,07 GBit/s shouldn't be a bandwith problem on a gigabit network, right? any idea what's the problem there?

thanks

Nadahar

Re: DLNA buffering on gigabit network

Post by Nadahar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 am

It shouldn't, but there are a number of things that could impact this. My first suspect would be the ethernet port on the TV. Do you know that it is gigabit? I took a quick look at the TV's specs, and they conveniently fails to mention this. In the user manual they recommend using Cat 5e, which would indicate that it is only a 100 Mbps port.

Your network might not actually run at gigabit speed either, depending on your cabling. Only Cat 6 cables should be used, and they should not run along power lines, hard bends etc. If packet loss is high (due to interference/crosstalk), the speed will be reduced.

It might also be, if you're transcoding, that your computer can't keep up. If you're not transcoding it could also be due to a very slow disk access, if for example the media files are placed at another device on the network.

Since you have problems around 70 Mbps, I suspect that something in running in 100 Mbps though. 70 Mbps is typically around the maximum speed you can get out of a 100 Mbps connection.

zeus0r

Post by zeus0r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Nadahar wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 am
It shouldn't, but there are a number of things that could impact this. My first suspect would be the ethernet port on the TV. Do you know that it is gigabit? I took a quick look at the TV's specs, and they conveniently fails to mention this. In the user manual they recommend using Cat 5e, which would indicate that it is only a 100 Mbps port.
wow, you got it on your first guess. i just installed some speedtest app and it actually peaked at exactly 60 Mbps. thanks for your help mate!

Nadahar

Post by Nadahar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 pm

That's good to hear. Sadly, manufacturers have a tendency to "forget" to mention the not-so-good specs, which also made my suspicious. Strangely, the Wifi NIC is much more capable than your wired NIC (that's a first for me). That means that by using a AC router, as long as your TV has a a strong signal, you should be able to get better bandwidth that way. They save money on the most insane things...