[Resolved] Playstation 4 no longer detects UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
paup

[Resolved] Playstation 4 no longer detects UMS

Post by paup »

I sat up a UMS server on my computer to stream video to my PlayStation 4 via WiFi some months back. As far as I remember this was a case of installing UMS on my computer and it immediately worked without any hassle.

For some reason it suddenly stopped working. I can now no longer enter the media player on the Playstation because it doesn't detect any media servers.
On the computer I can't see the PS4 as a renderer, but I do see my TV.

I did update Java recently and the problems might have started after that. I'm not entirely sure when the PS4 last updated, but I don't think that happened recently. After this problem starting to occur I upgraded UMS to a more recent version (from 6.7.4 to 7.0.0-rc2), but to no avail.
As per guidelines I added a trace log.

Any solutions?
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
Last edited by paup on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rejpal

Re: Playstation 4 no longer detects UMS

Post by Rejpal »

Most definitilely is your new version of JAVA blocked on Windows firewall - open firewall settings and add the latest version of javaw.exe as open for all apps and all incoming/outgoing connections
paup

Re: Playstation 4 no longer detects UMS

Post by paup »

Thanks, indeed that was the case! Enabling Java private network access in Window Defender Firewall settings resolved the issue.
Miyakutsune

Re: [Resolved] Playstation 4 no longer detects UMS

Post by Miyakutsune »

This hasen't worked for me and I been trying to get it to work for over 6 months now. I have tried everything to get my ps4 to see my UMS. I even got my close friend who worked at best buy, Radio shack and Gamestop and he told me ps4 no longer works with UMS. I have been told that by over 50 other people as well as the guy that works at gamestop told me the same two days ago.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Not true. It works fine if set up properly.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
ikickpuppies

Post by ikickpuppies »

I'm hoping I found a solution that worked for me. On Win10Pro, running UMS 8.0.1 and Java 8.201 to stream media to PS4 OS 6.51. Neither firewall, router, or windows internet settings made any difference, UMS would not appear on PS4 (and neither would my PC's shared network folders). I think this boiled down to IP address conflict. Ultimately, I found under Window's "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media Streaming Options" that the Unknown Device listed was assigned to my PS4's old IP address so I assume that when the PS4 tries to connect with the PC over WiFi that Windows points to the old IP address. For now, I Removed the Unknown Device from Windows Media Streaming Options, restarted both the PC and PS4 and I'm back in business.
Boggs0009

Post by Boggs0009 »

Thanks for the knowledge. The java thing worked for me as well. Would've never thought to try anything like that. The last version of windows I had was 7, and I never had any problems with the media server. Anyways, thanks again.