Unreliable play From PC to PS4 Pro for UHD content + how to enable HDR.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Eldgrim

Unreliable play From PC to PS4 Pro for UHD content + how to enable HDR.

Post by Eldgrim »

Hello all, I am trying to play UHD content, some with HDR some without, from my PC to my PS4 Pro. It has unpredictable playback quality. Sometime i can play UHD content just fine, sometime i get an unreadable media error, sometime right at the beginning, sometime somewhere during playback. It will stutter and stop or just unconstantly(sp?) stutter every few seconds. The behavior is very random. 2 hours ago i wasn't able to play Coco in UHD without constant stuttering, as i play a few files for the UMS log, it plays fine... Oh with UHD content fast forward never works. Why?

Also, i do not know how to enable HDR when available. I can set my tv picture mode to hdr but i do not know if its fake HDR or then reads hdr from the source. TV is OLED55B7.

PC is Windows 10 64bit, i5 3750, 8gb ram + nvidia 1060. Zyxel router, gigabit network(verified on ps4, router and windows).

Thanks
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(308.86 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
valib
Developer

Re: Unreliable play From PC to PS4 Pro for UHD content + how to enable HDR.

Post by valib »

If you read the DefaultRenderer.conf there is written

Code: Select all

# The maximum width and height supported by the renderer. 0 means unlimited.
# Both must be 0, or both must be higher than 0.
# Defaults: 1920 and 1080
MaxVideoWidth = 
MaxVideoHeight = 
which means that to support the 4K videos and don't transcode them than in the renderer.conf should be added

MaxVideoWidth = 0
MaxVideoHeight = 0
or

MaxVideoWidth = 3840
MaxVideoHeight = 2160
You can make your custom conf by following the https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... figuration rules.

EDIT: @UniversalMediaServer/developers if the PS4 supports the 4K videos we should add this to the UMS default PS4 conf.
Eldgrim

Post by Eldgrim »

I did the conf edit as suggested. It isn't any better, it always starts to stutter at some point. I even tried to increase the heap memory from 1 to 2 and 2 to 4.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

This is because video or audio formats (h265, truehd) of the movie are not supported by PS4 and movie is transcoded on the fly. Transcoding of 4K video is very CPU demanding and when transcoding speed dropped below 1 it must stutter. When movie is transcoded also means that fast forward does not work.