[Solved]UMS (Linix) doesn't detect Yamaha RX-A1010

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Konsolkongen

[Solved]UMS (Linix) doesn't detect Yamaha RX-A1010

Post by Konsolkongen »

Hi. Been having this problem for quite a while. Both PMS and UMS most of the time fails to detect my Yamaha RX-A1010. It does work every now and then, but today for example I haven't been able to get it working once. Both PMS and UMS will find my Samsung E6500 plasma without problems every time.
This puzzles me as the RX-A1010 does in fact have a dedicated renderer-file that's placed in the renderer-folder by default. The Samsung TV only uses a generic Samsung Allshare-file, so I would expect the Receiver to work perfectly and the TV being the troublesome one...

I don't think the log will be of much help as the RX-A1010 simply isn't detected, but I have attached it anyway just to be sure :)

Some information on my setup:
Desktop PC running Ubuntu 13.04 with Cinnamon desktop (64-bit if that matters). Connected by cable to my router.
Yamaha RX-A1010, updated to firmware 1.37. Connected by cable to the router. Does connect to the internet, I can listen to net radio just fine.
Zyxel P-2601HN-F1 router. Used DHCP to connect all my devices, but I have reserved the IP for my PC and Receiver, 192.168.1.45 and 192.168.1.33 respectively.

I've tried following this step in the FAQ http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1. I just edited the YamahaRXA1010.conf file according to the FAQ, and removed the other ones. Even then, the server fails to detect the Receiver.

I also tried forcing the server IP as seen in the included screenshot. This was suggested to someone on the PMS forum, but it didn't help me either.

I have tried using the DLNA feature in the Plex server too. But that usually doesn't work either. Restarting Plex usually solves it, but that's dumb as plex is started automatically with my computer. Besides I really don't like the way it sorts everything in predefined folders. It's annoying to navigate using the Receivers remote.

I'm not sure what else I can try now. I wonder if it's my network settings? But then why does my Samsung TV work fine every time? It too is connected by cable to the same router.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IP settings in UMS
IP settings in UMS
UMS.jpeg (303.05 KiB) Viewed 12285 times
ums_dbg.zip
Log files
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
SpeedyQ

Re: UMS doesn't detect Yamaha RX-A1010

Post by SpeedyQ »

Looking at your log, UMS starts ok and is listening on the default port 5001. There are no errors.
So based on that I would say you have a problem with the network.
It's either related to your router, nics or firewall.
So for your nics it's always a good idea to install the latest drivers. Also check the duplex settings once installed.

I don't know how UMS is working on the Linux platform, but I assume it is similar to Windows, but the actual executables involved are different.

For Windows this should apply (see if you can get the general idea translated to your Linux situation):
In your router:
-there must be some setting / swith for uPNP, it should be set to "enabled".

The firewall settings of your Windows PC:
I checked my own firewall setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port (also if you're using a different port number you have to use that value)
- port 2869 rule (TCP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
- port 1900 rule (UDP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
I have not included the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup.

If you are in doubt about the firewall rules, you might also consider a test with the complete firewall disabled. (make sure that your router cable towards the internet is physically disconnected at least for test).

Hope it helps to get you started...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Hi thanks for helping me :)
SpeedyQ wrote:Looking at your log, UMS starts ok and is listening on the default port 5001. There are no errors.
So based on that I would say you have a problem with the network.
It's either related to your router, nics or firewall.
Great, I thought that would be the case so it's great to get it narrowed down :)
So for your nics it's always a good idea to install the latest drivers. Also check the duplex settings once installed.
Sorry, what are nics? I saw it mentioned on the PS3 media server forum too, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it in my router settings.
As for firmware, unfortunately I cannot update it. I mean I can, but my ISP downgrades it again to their custom firmware within a few minutes. I can only trust that their firmware works properly because there isn't much I can do :(

For Windows this should apply (see if you can get the general idea translated to your Linux situation):
In your router:
-there must be some setting / swith for uPNP, it should be set to "enabled".
Universal Plug and Play is set to enabled by default :)
The firewall settings of your Windows PC:
I checked my own firewall setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port (also if you're using a different port number you have to use that value)
- port 2869 rule (TCP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
- port 1900 rule (UDP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
I have not included the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup.

If you are in doubt about the firewall rules, you might also consider a test with the complete firewall disabled. (make sure that your router cable towards the internet is physically disconnected at least for test).
There really isn't much to change when it comes to firewall in Linux. Generally Linux isn't affected by viruses or other crap like that. On the other hand I'm sure there is some kind of firewall present, but I've haven't seen any options to change this at all. Looking at my wired connection settings there is a drop down menu called "Firewall zone" but I'm not allowed to change anything there.

Should I open port 5001 on my router? I must confess I have never tried forwarding ports before. Never needed it.
Hope it helps to get you started...
Thank you! Didn't think I would get a reply so fast. Hopefully this will be fixed soon :)
Attachments
firewall.jpeg
firewall.jpeg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 12274 times
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

NIC=Network Interface Card

Usually the ports on your router are open for any internal (local) network travel.
Port forwarding on your router is only required if your client initiates the connection coming from the internet (outside your local network).

But before going into firewall problems, you could do some ping and telnet tests.
So if you have a laptop or pc try to ping your linux machine (so run command ping 192.168.1.45 on the command prompt). If it does not work, check your cabling. But it probably works because you are using DHCP.
If it succeeds, you can try telnet to see if the port 5001 on the Linux machine is available for clients to connect to. (run command telnet 5001 192.168.1.45 on command prompt).
Also if you have an Android phone or tablet connecting wireless to your router, you can install the application Fing on it. Fing is a tool that can help you detect network addresses and services (like UMS) that run on these addresses.
If at this point there is still no connection, then it must have something to do with either firewall software on the linux machine or services on the machine that are not running.
But for that you need linux experts. And they are here on the forum so maybe you want to post your problem on the Linux-specific Support section in the forum.

Hope you can find the source of your problem...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Usually the ports on your router are open for any internal (local) network travel.
Port forwarding on your router is only required if your client initiates the connection coming from the internet (outside your local network).
Of course, you're right :)
But before going into firewall problems, you could do some ping and telnet tests.
So if you have a laptop or pc try to ping your linux machine (so run command ping 192.168.1.45 on the command prompt). If it does not work, check your cabling. But it probably works because you are using DHCP.
If it succeeds, you can try telnet to see if the port 5001 on the Linux machine is available for clients to connect to. (run command telnet 5001 192.168.1.45 on command prompt).
Also if you have an Android phone or tablet connecting wireless to your router, you can install the application Fing on it. Fing is a tool that can help you detect network addresses and services (like UMS) that run on these addresses.
If at this point there is still no connection, then it must have something to do with either firewall software on the linux machine or services on the machine that are not running.
I installed Fing on my iphone. It does seem to work like you said. I find my PC > Services and it says 5001 commplex-link which should be UMS.

So the service is running fine on the PC it seems.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

This is weird. I tried connecting the PC and Receiver to a switch I have connected to my Router and now it works. I usually use this switch for my video game consoles, but it's gigabit speed to so I guess it won't make any difference how I connect it. I should probably connect the TV to this as well, just in case.
I wonder what's going on in the Router that's causing this problem :/ I only made very minor tweaks and none that are related to the home network and ethernet connections. And it's not a faulty unit either, because I had another one for a year, that had the exact same problem with PMS and the Yamaha Receiver, but that router died a few months ago and they shipped me a new one.

It seems to work just fine now. I can still access the Receiver as usual from my web browser and control the basic functions there. And I can still access the Receiver through the wireless network using an app on my phone.
Strangely these two features always worked perfectly even though the Receiver was connected through the Router...

Anyway thank you very much for your help! It seems like the problem was the router after all :/ I'll test it out for a few days before I declare this a definite success :)
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

So if you think its your router, i looked it up... not your standard off the shelf router you got there...
Zyxel P-2601HN-F1
  • Security
  • PAP/CHAP
  • Generic packet filter
  • SPI firewall
  • DoS attack prevention
  • Content Filter
Have you checked those settings? What about the latest firmware?
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Konsolkongen wrote:
Anyway thank you very much for your help! It seems like the problem was the router after all :/ I'll test it out for a few days before I declare this a definite success :)
Ok, good that you found a solution although the source of your problem is a bit vague.
It might be the case that it's related to the duplex settings in the devices.
Basic rule is that between two devices that you connect, use the same duplex settings.
So maybe because of moving the switch inbetween it solves the duplex setting. But this is only my wild guess.
Well, enjoy your media experience with UMS... 8-)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

DeFlanko wrote:So if you think its your router, i looked it up... not your standard off the shelf router you got there...
Zyxel P-2601HN-F1
  • Security
  • PAP/CHAP
  • Generic packet filter
  • SPI firewall
  • DoS attack prevention
  • Content Filter
Have you checked those settings? What about the latest firmware?
Hi, sorry I haven't replied earlier. Running everything through the switch seems to have solved the problem completely, so that's good :)

As for the settings in the router provided by my ISP, the only setting I could find is the DoS attack prevention and it's set to enabled. The other settings I cannot find anywhere :/ The firmware cannot be upgraded because it uses a custom firmware provided by my ISP. If I do upgrade it, they will downgrade it again within half an hour :(
DeFlanko

Re: [Solved]UMS (Linix) doesn't detect Yamaha RX-A1010

Post by DeFlanko »

You could do what i did and set the ISP router/cable modem combo device to a Brideged device, then on (in most cases) connect port 1 to YOUR router's Wan port. and make sure all your INTERNAL devices connect to your device and not the ISP router.

This way you have full control over your LAN.