Roku cannot see Window 10 Service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
YoItsTrev

Roku cannot see Window 10 Service

Post by YoItsTrev »

Recently I had issues with Plex that I could not find a solution to, so I went looking for an alternative. That is when I came across UMS. I am running UMS 7.0.1 on Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I have been running the application in "run at Windows startup," but I want for the server to start without a user having to log in. So, I installed the service, manually quit the server, and started the service, and it is causing an issue. When I start the server normally (not as a service), it shows up on the network (tested with a Roku, and an Android smart phone with VLC). When I shut down the server, and run it as a service, it cannot be seen on the network. What can I do to fix this?
Nadahar

Re: Roku cannot see Window 10 Service

Post by Nadahar »

This is caused by Windows Firewall. Since UMS is a Java application, it doesn't have its own executable that can run natively on Windows, and thus must be run by a JVM. When you run UMS with GUI (not a service) it will be seen of Windows as being "java.exe" or "javaw.exe". When it's run as a service though, a different technique is used so I think it runs as "wrapper.exe".

When you install Java, the Java installation program opens all ports for incoming access to itself ("java.exe"/"javaw.exe") in the Windows Firewall. This is what makes UMS work by default when run with a GUI. There is no such rules set up for "wrapper.exe", so no incoming traffic is allowed to this.

What UMS actually needs (whatever executable it's seen as by Windows) is any port outgoing for UDP and TCP, port 1900, 5001 and 9001 incoming TCP and port 1900 incoming UDP. If you make sure this is opened in your firewall, it should work.

Also, make sure to not run the service and the GUI at the same time. Since they will use the same configuration files and database, corruption of the data will occur. Therefore, always stop the service before starting the GUI and vice versa. The good thing is that since they use the same configuration files, you can configure it using the GUI and the same settings will be used by the service.
YoItsTrev

Post by YoItsTrev »

I added wrapper.exe to the Firewall, restarted the service, but it still is not showing up for my Roku, or VLC for Android.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Try to disable the Firewall to make sure that is the problem. If that solves it, make sure you have selected the "correct" wrapper.exe, the one found in UMS' installation folder.
YoItsTrev

Post by YoItsTrev »

It is the correct wrapper.exe. C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\win32\service\wrapper.exe. And it worked, when I disabled the firewall.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, then you'll have to check in Task Manager what the service is running as (you can find it in the "services" and then "go to process"). I might not remember correctly what it runs as.

Also make sure you have give the necessary permissions to the process, any port to any address outgoing, incoming TCP port 1900,5001 and 9001 and incoming UDP port 1900.
YoItsTrev

Post by YoItsTrev »

Obviously the service is running. I just said that it is working with the firewall down. And Window's firewall doesn't care about ports. All it does is either allow, or deny, an application access to the public, or private, network.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think you understood me correctly, I wasn't questioning if the service was running, I meant you needed to find what it was running as. It seems there's another way to do it though, in my Windows 7 firewall I can specify either a program or a service on any given rule. I don't have access to Windows 10 right now, but I bet you have the same options there as the firewall seems to be pretty much the same as in Windows 7.

The reason you can't find the settings seems to be because you're using the simplified wizard that doesn't allow you to see or change all the details. If you go to "Advanced settings" (in Windows Firewall Control Panel settings) instead of using the wizard "Allow and app or feature...", you will be able to see all the rules and settings: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... -settings/
YoItsTrev

Post by YoItsTrev »

As you can see from the provided image, the firewall has settings for TCP and UDP for ALL PORTS allowed for wrapper.exe
Attachments
firewall.jpg
firewall.jpg (701.65 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, but as I said in the previous post I discovered that Windows assigns permissions to services not by the EXE file but by the service itself. If you double-click on any of these rules and then selects the "Apps and services" tab and click the "Services" button you can assign the rules to the "Universal Media Server" service instead of to the EXE file. Do this for both rules, and I guess it should work.