more than one instance

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
chriska

more than one instance

Post by chriska »

Hello,
I am pretty new to UMS and don´t get the way the server can run more than one profile at once. I found this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=2353
but I do not know how to start two instances.
The reason I want to do so is that I want UMS to serve my audiobooks and also to serve some Podcasts which are updated by a seperate program. With the podcasts I want UMS to move the file after hearing it to another folder, which UMS does pretty good and where they will be deleted after some days. My audiobooks of course should not be moved and not be deleted. The only reason I started googling "UMS multible instances" was the "only allow one instance"-point in the confuguration settings. If there is another way to move files from one directory after hearing it but not moving files from another directory after hearing I am open.

So, what I did is copying the ums.conf - file to ums2.conf.
with the "profiles" - argument I can choose from one or the other as it is described here:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -arguments

this works pretty well.

With

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\UMS.exe" profile:"C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf"
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\UMS.exe" profile:"C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS2.conf"

I can start one or the other which also works fine.

But I do not understand how to start both at the same time. Can anyone help me or show me what to google next?
Thank you for your support. And by the way: I am really amazed about UMS, just to say this too: Even when I do not use most of its features I find it simply great!

chriska
Nadahar

Re: more than one instance

Post by Nadahar »

You need to assign different ports to the two instances. By default (when not specified) UMS use port 5001 for serving media and port 9001 for the web interface. You need to make sure that at least one of your profiles/configurations don't use the default ports.

You can set this in UMS.conf with:

Code: Select all

port = <new port>
web_port = <new port>
You can pick whatever ports you want. All that matters is that they are above 1024 and aren't already in use on your computer. Most port won't be in use, but if you want to make sure you can use "netstat -a" from the command line. It's the ones marked with "LISTENING" that are relevant.
chriska

Post by chriska »

Hi,
thank you for your quick response.
I should have mentioned it, but I did forget. I indeed have changed the port of one instance.
I can upload my .conf - files so you can see.

edit:
note: As you posted I just played around with the .conf- files. I had in fact

single_instance =false

in the files, but here in the uploads there is the =true - statement.
Sorry.
By the way: the "true" - statement works. UMS shuts down and starts the new one. with the single_instance =false statement nothing happens when I start the second one.
Attachments
UMS.conf
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
UMSa.conf
(57.26 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Last edited by chriska on Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to your setup :oops:

It isn't enough to use different configuration files, you need to use different folders. Otherwise you will get problems with the database and some other things. So, instead create "C:\ProgramData\UMS2\UMS.conf" and simply specify "C:\ProgramData\UMS2" as your profile.
chriska

Post by chriska »

Nadahar wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 am Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to your setup :oops:

It isn't enough to use different configuration files, you need to use different folders. Otherwise you will get problems with the database and some other things. So, instead create "C:\ProgramData\UMS2\UMS.conf" and simply specify "C:\ProgramData\UMS2" as your profile.
YEAH!

this works. Thank you very much!
In fact, I didnt try to listen to something yet, but now there are two windows open, so I guess it will show up in the radio. This is really great!

And well, I should have tried that out before I ask the forum. I thought about but than I didnt gave it a try. Thank you so much!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This isn't very well documented so I don't blame you for having to ask. This thread can now help anyone else trying to achieve the same in the future :)

That said, I always meant that it should be possible to set "Fully played action" per shared folder, but that wasn't implemented by the developer that made this. It would have made more sense to me, and solved your problem. If you create an issue asking for it at our issue tracker it might actually happen some time in the future :roll:
chriska

Post by chriska »

Thank you for your help.
It is not a big deal if I have to run 2 instances for this, when I know how to do it it is fine. I don´t stream films with UMS or other big stuff so running 2 programs doesnt slow down the server verry much. But of course it would be a great feature if I could configure after-played-actions for each directory so I will take your advise and post something there. But for now I am simply happy that the problem could be solved so fast.

For now I restart the whole machine which takes a while here because there is a lot of stuff booting up. Than I look if the two instances in fact do work. Also I have to look after some other issures. For example the intern folders like "last played" and so on didnt show up any more.