What do the various whitelist options mean?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
paddylandau

What do the various whitelist options mean?

Post by paddylandau »

I am brand new to UMS, so I'm still struggling to understand bits and pieces.

On the security and privacy page, the whitelist section lists a number of properties.

Most of them seem obvious, but some are meaningless to me. A search has revealed nothing to me.

I've listed the options below with what I believe that each one means. Where can I find further information, or can you correct me where I'm wrong, please?
  • ini: (no idea)
  • folders: A comma-separated list of allowed folders
  • vfolders: (no idea)
  • plugins: A list of allowed plugins
  • web: (no idea)
  • recent: Whether or not to hide the "recents" list; true means hide, false means show.
  • new_media: Whether or not to show a "New media" section
  • hide_set: Whether or not to hide settings
Finally, is there a way to add comments in the UMS.conf file?

Thank you
Nadahar

Re: What do the various whitelist options mean?

Post by Nadahar »

I'm no expert in these settings myself, the developer that made this isn't very active anymore so I doubt he will answer, but I guess he's the only one that knows anything more than what is in the documentation.

To fill in the little information I can add to what you've already figured out:
  • ini: I have no idea either, but where did you find this? It's not listed on the Wiki.
  • vfolders: A comma-separated list of allowed virtual folders. You can configure "virtual" folders in another configuration file that isn't a real folder, but can act as one with the content (files or folders) you specify in its configuration.
  • web: I don't know, but I would guess it would be a comma-separated list of allowed URLs
You can make comments in all UMS ".conf" files by starting the line with #.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Regarding the "ini" it is a part of formatting and there were some wrong formats I fixed after I read this topic. Now it is not listed.
paddylandau

Post by paddylandau »

valib wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:01 amRegarding the "ini" it is a part of formatting and there were some wrong formats I fixed after I read this topic. Now it is not listed.
Thank you. I don't suppose that you know what the "web" value means?
Nadahar wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:35 amvfolders: A comma-separated list of allowed virtual folders. You can configure "virtual" folders in another configuration file that isn't a real folder, but can act as one with the content (files or folders) you specify in its configuration.
Thanks. Following links and searching some more, I found the explanation in UMS.conf. It's not at all clear whether you use a single line or multiple lines for multiple virtual folders, but that can be figured out through trial-and-error.
Nadahar wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:35 amYou can make comments in all UMS ".conf" files by starting the line with #.
Excellent, thank you.