How can I find the name of a specific renderer?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
paddylandau

How can I find the name of a specific renderer?

Post by paddylandau »

I can non-default specify options for a particular renderer in the `UMS.conf` using the IP address, e.g.:

Code: Select all

192.168.1.15.show_recently_played_folder = false
However, the IP address of the device can change. To overcome this, I can instead use the render name, e.g.

Code: Select all

my_renderer.show_recently_played_folder = false
The problem is that I don't know how to find the render name. How can I do this, please?
boss

Re: How can I find the name of a specific renderer?

Post by boss »

Usually you can give your device a fixed IP address.
paddylandau

Post by paddylandau »

boss wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:18 amUsually you can give your device a fixed IP address.
True, I can do that using the MAC address on the router. Would that prove more reliable than using a render name, do you think?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It would probably be more reliable to base it in MAC address and IP. You can find the renderer name by either looking in the renderer configuration files "<install folder>/renderers", or simply by looking in the log file (search for "new renderer" or something like that) found in your UMS profile folder called "debug.log". The log will state the name of the renderer when it is detected/recognized.
paddylandau

Post by paddylandau »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 amIt would probably be more reliable to base it in MAC address and IP.
Thank you. I'll do as you suggest.
Nadahar wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 amYou can find the renderer name by … looking in … "debug.log".
In the debug file, it's called a Chromecast, even though it's not a Chromecast! (It's an app on my Pixel 2 phone.) It also says "Unknown renderer". This reinforces your idea of using the IP address.

Thanks again.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

paddylandau wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:10 am In the debug file, it's called a Chromecast, even though it's not a Chromecast! (It's an app on my Pixel 2 phone.) It also says "Unknown renderer". This reinforces your idea of using the IP address.
The sometimes unpredictable and unreliable renderer detection mechanism is indeed the reason I recommend using IP address (based on DHCP/MAC or fixed address).