Problem with unwanted transcoding

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

Problem with unwanted transcoding

Post by squadjot »

Hi

I got a samsung J5500 (2015 model i believe)..nobody cracked the code for making UMS transcode to this TV, but luckily the TV plays almost anything you throw after it, natively.

Anyways, today i ran into a problem with a MP4 that UMS thinks needs transcoding, and i don't understand why.
I can play the file with the "no encoding" option from transcode folder.

Ultimately i want the file to stream with the internal subtitles (which transcode folder options does not provide)

Normally this isnt a problem

Can anyone help me out?

Side question, would there be a way to force the TV to stream everything?
I tried adding *.* to the "skip transcoding etc etc" in the GUI but that seemed to have no effect
Attachments
ums_dbg_samsung_j.zip
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Nadahar

Re: Problem with unwanted transcoding

Post by Nadahar »

It's impossible to figure out why the file is transcoded since the log files aren't in "trace mode". As long as you choose "no transcoding" in the transcoding folder, the file is sent as-is, including internal subtitles. If the subtitles isn't displayed then, it's probably because the TV doesn't support the subtitles format. That can also be the reason why the file is transcoded in the first place.

You should be able to disable all transcoding by setting
disable_transcoding = true
in either your renderer configuration (to only apply to a particular renderer) or in UMS.conf to apply to every renderer.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It seems that your MP4 file has TX3G subtitles so if your TV supports it, let us know and we can add that line.
Also can you try replacing:

Supported = f:mp4 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|mpegps|mpegts m:video/mpeg

with:

Supported = f:mpegps m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts

and let me know if that fixes transcoding?

Also it would probably be good to change:

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H265-AAC

to:

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3

since that is nicer on the CPU
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Thanks for replying!

@SubJunk, thanks i'll try that when i get home.
@Nadahar, oh sorry i thought it was in debug mode, i'll make a new in trace mode if the problem still persist
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@squadjot I'm pretty sure your TV doesn't support TX3G subtitles. That would explain both why you don't see any with the "No transcoding" option and why UMS wants to transcode the video. The only way to get this to work with subtitles is most likely to get transcoding to work with the TV.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Nadahar wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm @squadjot I'm pretty sure your TV doesn't support TX3G subtitles. That would explain both why you don't see any with the "No transcoding" option and why UMS wants to transcode the video. The only way to get this to work with subtitles is most likely to get transcoding to work with the TV.
Yea you're probably right: viewtopic.php?t=4075
I've been trying to get this TV to transocde since i got it.. had numerous attempts from Sami, but no luck..and i kinda gave up.

But i'm willing to try any suggestions you guys might have. (Still have to try the suggestions SubJunk mentioned)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

@SubJunk

Supported = f:mpegps m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts

The above didn't fix transcoding, but i might have to play around with some other variables to make sure.

@Nadahar
Yea, the TV does not support TX3G subtitles, and explains why UMS tries to transcode.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Was that with TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 too?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There are a lot of transcoding options in that renderer config so it is weird transcoding doesn't work.
Could you try to force detection of the TV as another renderer and see if any other configs work for transcoding? It might give us some idea of what needs to change
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

SubJunk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 am There are a lot of transcoding options in that renderer config so it is weird transcoding doesn't work.
Could you try to force detection of the TV as another renderer and see if any other configs work for transcoding? It might give us some idea of what needs to change
The reason there's alot of transocding options, is because i've been trying alot :D ..
The closest i came to playing transcoded file was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URyq8Ug2boY
Starts, but then restarts and the sound is async

As mentioned i kinda gave up, but if you have some specific tests you want me to do, i'll do it for the sake of the communitaeh :P