UMS won't open after new install.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
CorbinX

UMS won't open after new install.

Post by CorbinX »

First of all, i've never had any problems with UMS in all the years i've been using it.
Second, I would love to share all the info you guys requested if you have a problem but it won't open to let me look at all the logs that you want.
This is what happened.
I got a notification that there was an update available over this weekend. I didn't download right away because I was busy. When I finally did download it on Monday I went to install it and when i was done and it asked me to "Run the Program", nothing happened. I restarted my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 to see if it would run on startup, but nothing.
So I tried to reinstall the past version because I didn't delete it and it didn't work either.
So this is where I panicked and completely uninstalled everything from Universal Media Server from my computer. Then tried to install the new version, didn't work again and the previous version and that didn't work either.
Now I'm stuck. I'm not great with computers but if someone can walk me me through on how to fix this, I'd be grateful.
boss

Re: UMS won't open after new install.

Post by boss »

Same happened to me on my Linux server when I installed V7.1.0.
After I installed it, UMS would crash before starting completely.
I deleted the "data" and "database" folders and then UMS started fine.
Those 2 folders will be rebuilt again upon starting UMS.
CorbinX

Post by CorbinX »

boss wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 pm Same happened to me on my Linux server when I installed V7.1.0.
After I installed it, UMS would crash before starting completely.
I deleted the "data" and "database" folders and then UMS started fine.
Those 2 folders will be rebuilt again upon starting UMS.
Neither of those are not in my UMS folder.
I think they are not because I uninstalled the entire program.
So I'm still looking for a solution, thanks though.
boss

Post by boss »

I guess you are using windows. Most likely those folders will be in your user directory.
EG: If your username is "fred"

C:/users/fred/appdata/Local/
Or
C:/users/fred/appdata/local/LocalLow/
Or
C:/users/fred/appdata/Roaming/

When you go to C:/users/fred/
The folders under that are usually hidden so you will have to unhide hidden folders or type in appdata after C:/users/fred/ to access the folders.
CorbinX

Post by CorbinX »

boss wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:10 pm I guess you are using windows. Most likely those folders will be in your user directory.
EG: If your username is "fred"

C:/users/fred/appdata/Local/
Or
C:/users/fred/appdata/local/LocalLow/
Or
C:/users/fred/appdata/Roaming/

When you go to C:/users/fred/
The folders under that are usually hidden so you will have to unhide hidden folders or type in appdata after C:/users/fred/ to access the folders.
YES!
I finally got it to work. But it did take a little more than just those folders. And yes, I am using Windows but it wasn't under my regular User Directory. It was just under "All Users/UMS.
After I tried to delete those two folders there was an item I couldn't because Java had it opened and still wouldn't start. So I decided to uninstall the entire app again and restart my laptop, then I was able to delete those folders but I decided to delete the entire USM folder just to be safe.
I reinstalled the newest version of UMS and it started right up after installation.
THANK YOU SO MUCH
boss

Post by boss »

Good you got it to work.
The folders had to be deleted when moving from a previous version to version 7 as the version 7 database structure was different.
It surprises me that the same would have to be done moving from version 7.0.1 to version 7.1.0 but I guess it does.

When that happens I usually just delete the data and database folders and leave the rest. This is because UMS.conf is in the same folder and if I deleted that as well I would have to recreate any modifications I made to UMS.conf
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

All that needs to be deleted is the database folder. There's no reason to delete anything more. If the files are locked, UMS is still running. Restarting the computer should fix that.