Remember playback position for Samsung UA60H7000

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
skeezmoe

Remember playback position for Samsung UA60H7000

Post by skeezmoe »

Hi,

I am trying to configure UMS with my Samsung UA60H7000 TV. I have it configured to share files thru the Wifi network and it works well except for the part where my Samsung TV player can remember the last played position of watched media.

When I use Serviio, the Samsung TV player does remember the last played position but for some reason it does not work for UMS.

I tried using the Enable Video resuming in UMS but it is unstable and do not really like it because it leaves those old resume files which I cannot remove.

Is there a configuration option in UMS to get the remember played position working properly?

Thank you.
Nadahar

Re: Remember playback position for Samsung UA60H7000

Post by Nadahar »

The "remember last position" function is something your TV does and isn't related to UMS or Serviio. The most likely reason this doesn't work with UMS is that UMS will generate new IDs for all media each time UMS is started. Serviio probably stores the ID in a database and reuse it, which enables the TV to recognize that it's the same media file.

UMS doesn't work like that because it has a very dynamic way of creating the "media directory" that you browse. It is basically generated while you browse and the content can vary depending on a lot of different things. The ID's are then generated on the fly.

Personally I don't think this is a very good design, but it has some advantages (and some drawbacks). Either way, changing this logic is a very big task, so I wouldn't hold my breath. The resume files are deleted when you watch the video to the end, but I agree that it doesn't always work perfectly. You can delete them manually from a subfolder in your profile folder though.
skeezmoe

Re: Remember playback position for Samsung UA60H7000

Post by skeezmoe »

UMS will generate new IDs for all media each time UMS is started
I disagree with this diagnosis as the resume does not work even when I stop watching a video and then play it again right after stopping.

This playback issue is a deal breaker for me since sometimes the video can be disrupted and having to find the last position is a real pain. The resume functionality does not work reliably and you end up with these resume files which just clutter the whole media browsing experience.

I have gone back to Serviio for now.