Subtitles are not showing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Subtitles are not showing

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, when the subtitles aren't marked as "forced" UMS can't guess it - so you'd either have to select the correct subtitles track manually from within the TRANSCODE folder or remux it with the correct marking.
messiestobjects

Post by messiestobjects »

Nope, still no luck. I've attached a new debug and mediainfo text for the updated file. Maybe it's because the Audio is technically English? And there's no way for UMS to determine when there is Spanish audio in certain scenes? Ugh. Guess I have to find a way to burn in subtitles, but I don't want to have to re-encode.
Attachments
S03E03 - I.F.T.720p.BluRay.X264 (1).mkv.txt
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
ums_dbg.zip
(601.26 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No, this should have worked. It seems that the problem now is:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2018-07-27 12:10:24.373 [Library Scanner] net.pms.encoders.Player Disabled the subtitles: id: 0, type: UNKNOWN, lang: off
Since you got the "normal" subtitles when you turned on English subtitles, UMS must have recognized them in the original file. The question is if your remuxing has altered their metadata in any way. Does your remuxed file display subtitles in VLC etc?
messiestobjects

Post by messiestobjects »

Yes it does, VLC plays the file no problem. I even tried to remux the file and changed the language type to multiple, but then UMS would not even play the file.
binary512

Post by binary512 »

After upgrading from 9.2.0 to 9.3.0, 9.4.0, 9.4.1, 9.4.2, etc. MOST subtitle files .SRT have stopped working on my Sony Bravia TV. They still work on the Roku player.
I know SOMETHING changed with subtitles for 9.3.0, but what can I do to change my subtitle files to get it to start working again? Is it the encoding (Windows/ANSI vs. Unix, or the Encoding (UTF-8)??)
VLC plays the subtitles on ALL my videos.

Subtitle Language Priority: eng,jpn,ger,und
Automatically load .srt subtitles with same filename: checked on
Force external subtitles: checked on

Example video that does not show subtitles under newer versions is:
"D:\0pending\Series\Lost World, The (1999-2002)\Season 1\The Lost World-s01e01-The Journey Begins.srt"

Debug file for 9.4.2...(subtitle does not work on TV)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhMwffFZTNE3grgsc31 ... A?e=spEXc3

Debug file for 9.2.0 (subtitle works on TV)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhMwffFZTNE3grgtHse ... A?e=gheEp6

I see this in the debug log:
TRACE 2020-04-24 18:57:40.629 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 5] net.pms.network.RequestV2 Did not send subtitle headers because the external subtitles format isn't supported by the renderer

The external subtitle format should be the same for ALL my .SRT files. The renderer has not problem displaying subtitles from other videos.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I had a quick look at the Sony-BraviaHX.conf and there is no mention of any supported external subtitles
try adding to the config

Code: Select all

SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
I don't know exactly what has changed but there has been some bug fixes to the subs, it just happened to break the way it was working for you.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
binary512

Post by binary512 »

I tried adding the following line to Sony-BraviaHX.conf

SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP

But since it is not in either the old version (that works), nor in the new version (that doesn't work), it had no effect.
There must have been a coding change.

Here's an updated debug log file.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhMwffFZTNE3grguz0v ... g?e=W3s26L
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

They broke subtitles for most users in one of the 9.x versions. I'd stick to an earlier version, at least until they address this. As per now, they seem to address it only on a per-renderer basis, so somebody has to complain for each and every renderer and this must then be "investigated" before the renderer configuration is updated.

The real reason for the problems is that they changed the rules for how subtitles support is specified in renderer configurations, but didn't bother to actually update the renderer configurations accordingly. I haven't studied these changes in enough detail to be able to tell you how you must modify your current configuration to make it work, as I think these changes should never have been merged without this already being addressed.
binary512

Post by binary512 »

How do we complain to someone, and who do we complain, to get the renderer for Sony-BraviaHX TVs fixed?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can complain all you want here, but I wouldn't bet on it having the desired effect. You best chance is to make somebody want to help you.