Problems after changing Network Provider

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
buttheadpenguin

Problems after changing Network Provider

Post by buttheadpenguin »

Hey guys,

So I recently changed network provider and since then I haven't been able to stream - the PC and PS4 don't "see" each other.
FYI my knowledge of this stuff is not great so please ELI5:)

Misc info:
Streaming from wi-fi PC to wi-fi PS4 - (cable connecting both in the near future)
No problems with the old provider, also both on wi-fi
With the new provider I got a new router. The new router is an experimental one (F@ST 5366) and I suspect this to possibly be the problem?
The PS4 detects the new router as a media source on the media player.
The advanced UMS Network Settings are all default/empty

PC /ipconfig
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

PS4 Network Status
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Attached is the bugfile from UMS

I'm not sure what information is relevant, hopefully it at least gives a picture.
Any ideas what might be the problem? Please let me know if I forgot any info.

Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Nadahar

Re: Problems after changing Network Provider

Post by Nadahar »

You have given all the necessary information, it's nice to see a report that doesn't include a lot of "investigation" to understand the problem. The cause of the problem is either the Windows firewall or the router.

I checked your log and found nothing wrong (except that you use 32 bit Java on a 64 bit OS, which is less than ideal but isn't related to this problem). UMS detects the correct network interface, so no "advanced" network settings are required. There is no sign of any communication in the log though, it's just UMS running "alone in vacuum".

It might be that your Windows firewall has decided to start blocking UMS from working, that is quite common in Windows 10. During Microsoft's updates they reset the firewall rules for reasons unknown to me, and as a consequence UMS stops working. To check if this is the case, try disabling your Windows firewall. Your router will still protect you from intrusion from the internet, so this shouldn't be a problem unless you have a lot of hackers on your local network.

If the firewall isn't the cause, it has to be the router. If that's the case, I'm afraid I can't help much in figuring out what is wrong with it. If this is the case, I'm pretty sure what goes wrong is the multicast (that's "always" the problem when stuff can't see each other and it's not caused by a firewall). The strange thing is that as long as the devices are on the same subnet, the router doesn't actually have to do anything for this to work. There's a switch in the router as well, and this is all handled at the switch level. If would be strange, although not impossible, if it had a flawed switch implementation that doesn't handle multicast packets, but I guess anything is possible.

I think the firewall is the most likely cause though.
buttheadpenguin

Hey Nadahar, thanks so much for the reply!

Disabling the firewall was one of the first things I tried, forgot to add that!
Well, I'm pretty sure I did, so I'll try that again and if it doesn't work I know I can go and get a new router, that isn't an experimental one:)

Thanks again, I'll post updates.
buttheadpenguin

If there's any interest, the problem was fixed with changing the router. Too bad because the other router was giving me approx. 1/3 more speed:(