PS4 function compared PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
confabulator

PS4 function compared PS3

Post by confabulator »

Hi,
I've just moved over to a PS4 from PS3 and am struggling bit with simple functionality compared to what I have been used to and was hoping someone could tell me if I'm missing something or this is just how things are on PS4 via its media player. There isn't really a bug to make posting a bug file of relevance.

I'm used to the PS3 letting me choose to "play from beginning" with the resume option also being there, but on PS4 I am finding I cant choose to play from the start if it has a memory for a previous playback position. There appears to be no option to do this. It also is ridiculously hard to fast forward or rewind accurately, where on the PS3 I can use "go to" get to a specific location easily. It is particularly hard to just skip back or forward for a very brief interval when you e.g. miss a line. Am I missing something?

My PS3 is fine and right now I am thinking of using that for streaming rather than the PS4 as it seems to have better function.

Thanks for any help.
Madoka

Re: PS4 function compared PS3

Post by Madoka »

I have both a PS3 and PS4 and am a long time user of UMS.

It's just that the PS4 media player sort of sucks compared to the PS3. Your issues are the exact same ones I have noticed. The PS4 used to suck so bad, that you couldn't rewind at all in the beginning.

So for me, if I need subtitles (which I do 99.9%) of the time, I use my PS3 as both devices need transcoding for .ass subs. If I have an .mkv that does need subtitles and I can stream it, I'll use the PS4.
mik_s

Re: PS4 function compared PS3

Post by mik_s »

not really a fan of the PS4 media player but i also find the PS3 no longer suits my needs.
If you don't use your PS3 much anymore it might be worth jail-breaking it and installing Movian, it can pretty much play anything you can throw at it without transcoding (it's a pain to set up the renderer config though with everything it supports) the only issue though is the CPU on the PS3 is too slow to decode H265 at full speed so you do have to transcode them first, or just use the PS4 for those files.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.