Probem with WAV files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
GG76

Probem with WAV files

Post by GG76 »

Hello I'm french and I speak very bad English. I use Ums 7.3.1 on several PCs to play my movies and music on my Samsung QE65Q7F. I can not read WAV files. PS3 media server works well with WAV but UMS does not recognize it. Can you help me ? Thank you GG76
jps92

Re: Probem with WAV files

Post by jps92 »

Vous devez faire comme indiqué dans ce lien:
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/for ... ?f=9&t=556
GG76

Post by GG76 »

Hello JPS, thank you for your help. The file is on the attached page. UMS works fine but I do not see my music files WAV format. The folders are visible on my Samsung QE65Q7F but they are empty, no title of songs. Thank you very much GG76
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(46.67 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
korthouj

Post by korthouj »

Why hasn't this question been answered? I have the same problem...please....
Thanks for the info..
johan
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It probably hasn't been answered because it doesn't have an easy answer. The reason the files are hidden is probably simple, renderers often hide media files that they don't think they can play. That doesn't mean that they can't play it, they usually make the judgement based on the metadata supplied by UMS, not by actually trying to play the file. Some are more picky than others to what metadata must be specified and how well they conform to DLNA (or UPnP, depending on how UMS presents it). Some simply try to play and fail if it's not compatible.

The most likely cause for this is thus that UMS either specifies some incorrect metadata, or that information that the renderer requires isn't specified. Solving it isn't necessarily that easy either, because UMS' implementation is full of hacks for different devices. That means that by now, it's pretty much a minefield where every change will lead to breakage on other devices in a way that is very difficult to predict. My guess is that the devs aren't that hungry to investigate for this reason. It's also very difficult to investigate such problems without having a device which has this problem, as it means that every change must be tested by a user and the details must be returned to the developer.

In addition, the debug files aren't created according to the instructions. The "problem" must be staged/reproduced while capturing the debug files, which doesn't seem to be the case here as no Samsung renderer is detected. That means that there's nothing anyone can do even if they wanted to.

One potential "easy" fix is to modify the renderer configuration in use. It might be that by tweaking the parameters, it's possible to make UMS generate metadata that the renderer accepts. But again, without even knowing which renderer configuration that is used, it's impossible to make any suggestions.
korthouj

Post by korthouj »

@Nadahar : Thanks for answering the question. I saw during the UMS installation that ffmg is used?
Isn't it a matter then perhaps of configuring ffmg to handle wav files? (just a thought...) What are your thoughts on this?
And how to modify the renderer configuration in use? (the easy fix perhaps what you wrote..)

I will dive into this a bit more today and the coming days and if I find anything useful I will write it here in this thread...

Thanks again.
regards, Johan
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

FFmpeg is used among others, and for audio it's always FFmpeg. That's very likely not the issue though. I'm pretty sure that the media file itself is fine. It's the metadata that UMS presents to the renderer describing the media file that's the likely culprit.

Debug files are a requirement for anyone to even look at this, as without them it's all blind guessing. About modifications to the renderer configuration, debug files are the answer again. Only by posting debug files can anyone know how they look in the first place, and thus what to try to modify ;)