Subtitle detection problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Post Reply
User avatar
squadjot
Moderator
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 am

Subtitle detection problem

Post by squadjot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am

A scenario i run into now and then:

1. I want to watch movie on my Sony Bravia W5500 TV
2. I Browse the folder, but i find out that i forgot to download subtitle.
3. I go to computer and download subtitle
4. Back at TV i try to browse parent folder, and then back in movie folder, but UMS does not detect the newly downloaded SRT file.
5. I have to restart UMS to make it detect SRT.

Is this expected behavior?
If it is, maybe we could use a optional "#--Refresh folder--#" option?

Btw above scenario is with the "Media library"-option disabled.

User avatar
atamariya
Moderator
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 am

Re: Subtitle detection problem

Post by atamariya » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 am

Yes, that's by design. UMS caches media tree to speed up display.

User avatar
squadjot
Moderator
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 am

Re: Subtitle detection problem

Post by squadjot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:25 am

atamariya wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 am
Yes, that's by design. UMS caches media tree to speed up display.
Thanks

Yea i kind of expected that.
So i think an optional #--Refresh--# option would be nice to have.

Madoka
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Subtitle detection problem

Post by Madoka » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:40 am

I have noticed this issue for a long time now. One workaround that I use on 6.8.0 is to go into the transcode folder. For some reason, the new subtitle shows up there, and I can manually select it to run. This just saves me time restarting UMS.
Last edited by Madoka on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
squadjot
Moderator
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 am

Re: Subtitle detection problem

Post by squadjot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:37 am

It happens often for me.. i think this should be fixed :/

Edit: @ Madoka.. i also thought i remembered it "working" at some point, "working" as in go to another folder and reenter.

I don't know how the code works, but i imagine i would look for something like; comparing the filelist with the one in cache, and update accordingly. Probably easier said than done.

Madoka
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Subtitle detection problem

Post by Madoka » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:28 am

IIRC, if the sub name has a language code in it, it updates ok. The subs I get never have language codes unless I put them in.

Post Reply