mp4/mkv=mpeg on ue65mu7005?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Skalis

mp4/mkv=mpeg on ue65mu7005?

Post by Skalis »

Samsung UE65MU7005
samsung-UHD.conf

Have had an annoying issue with UMS, and I'm not enough skilled to interpret the debug-file (enclosed).

Thing is that all MP4-files are shown as "format.mpeg" and <name>.mpg on my TV, hence they are not playable because the TV does not understand it's MP4. The same goes for some MKV, but not all. I don't know the criteria for an MKV-file being playble or not.On the other hand, I can browse to -# transcode #- and choose <name>[no transcoding].mp4 to play the movie without issues. Same goes for those MKV that does not play the normal way.

What causes this? Can I fix it myself by editing file(s)? I assume it has to do with the conf-file since UMS is klogging "started playing Bree.MP4" even though my TV thought it to be an MPG, but as I said, I lack deeper knowledge of how UMS works.

However I am pleased with the application aside from this. Tried Plex but the first thing it did was to re-encode all my movies....not OK. I just want a server streaming my files "as is" :-)

I tried putting the same MP4/MKV files on a stick and play them directly on the TV. Worked flawlessly, no issues with the movies it seems.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(757.63 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Skalis

Re: mp4/mkv=mpeg on ue65mu7005?

Post by Skalis »

Update: I did some research in the debug files (it was easier then I thought to interpret) and found 2 things:

(a) the MP4-files found no supporting match in the samsung-UHD renderer - thus reverting to mpeg transcore. Solution: Add support line which included AAC-LC sound (I found this in the samsungUHD thread, thanks to the author).
(b) the MKV-files were not played because bitrate was > 30Mbps and I didn't realise that UMS was limiting it to 30 because I told it during setup that I use WiFi (which I do). Solution: tell UMS in general settings to accept Gbps.

So....basically problem solved in case anyone reads this thread.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for posting your outcome, can you please attach the modified renderer config so we can add it to the next UMS release?
Skalis

Post by Skalis »

Username kilik360 posted a revision here: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/for ... =20#p33617

quoting his post:
"Hi guys thanks a lot for the file (Samsung-UHD.conf). It's working partially for me.

My TV is a UN65KS8000FXZA

I have to add those 3 lines of codes to make it works even better. I can now play files that I wouldn't without.

Supported = f:mkv v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:mp4 v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mpegts v:divx|h264|h265|mjpeg|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|vp6|wmv a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|eac3|lpcm|mp3|wma m:video/mpeg

I would like to know if you could integrate these new "code" in a more professional look than what I did. This way we could have a better Samsung-UHD.conf.

Here's my file if someone wanna test.

Of course I'll be proud to test your updated .conf files.
"

I'm a noobie with UMS but as far as I can see what this really does is adding support for audiocodec aac-lc, which were not present in the original samsung-UHD.conf
My debug file said:
"Audio codec "aac-lc" failed to match support line f:mp4 v:divx|mp4|mpeg1|mpeg2|vc1|wmv|h263|vp6 a:ac3|lpcm|adpcm|aac|aac-he|wma|eac3|mp3|dts m:video/mp4 w:1920 h:1080 b:160000000"

I have however no idea what the difference is between aac, aac-he and aac-lc :-)
Skalis

Post by Skalis »

Also, out of curiosity, how come it was possible to browse to the transcode folder and play the "movie[no transcoding].mp4" without problems, eventhough no matching format was found in the conf? Are those [no transc]-entries simply streaming the file "as is" hoping the receiving end will support the format?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Skalis wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am Are those [no transc]-entries simply streaming the file "as is" hoping the receiving end will support the format?
Yes.

In the "TRANSCODE" folder you manually choose exactly what will be sent. If the file plays fine without transcoding, the renderer configuration should be modified accordingly because not transcoding is always preferable if possible.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Nadahar wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 am
Skalis wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am Are those [no transc]-entries simply streaming the file "as is" hoping the receiving end will support the format?
Yes.

In the "TRANSCODE" folder you manually choose exactly what will be sent. If the file plays fine without transcoding, the renderer configuration should be modified accordingly because not transcoding is always preferable if possible.
Could be cool if UMS could analyze those "no-transcoding" plays and edit configuration accordingly. 8-)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It looks like there is just a typo in the renderer config, "aac" should be "aac-lc". I will put the fixed version of the file into the next release
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

squadjot wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:27 am
Nadahar wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 am
Yes.

Could be cool if UMS could analyze those "no-transcoding" plays and edit configuration accordingly. 8-)
That would be awesome!