UMS 7.4.0 thread exception

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
wumpus

UMS 7.4.0 thread exception

Post by wumpus »

When playing a FLAC file via the UMS web interface I get a java exception. I was doing this because for some reason when I browse to this particular album folder using my PS3 to UMS, the PS3 shows an "Unsupported data" file between all the real files in the browse list. It only does that on this folder. It may be a totally unrelated issue.

Attached is are the zipped files per the "Problem Reporting Guidelines" when I reproduce the java thread exception.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(85.63 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS 7.4.0 thread exception

Post by SubJunk »

1) PS3:
Since the file is 96/24 (higher quality than normal, probably ripped from a record rather than CD), to play it on PS3 you need to play it via the Videos section instead of the Music one. This is our hack to trick the PS3 into playing the higher quality since it doesn't support it for audio, but it does support it for videos, so we attach a blank video to the audio.

2) Web interface:
Does the file play even though you get the exception?
wumpus

Post by wumpus »

Yes, it plays. The exception isn't immediate. I click to play. It starts to play. Then several seconds later the exception occurs but it keeps playing (for a few seconds at least, I didn't let it go too long. Should I listen longer to empty a buffer or somesuch?).

Concerning the "Unsupported data" files. They are interspersed with files that display properly and play Just Fine on the PS3 via the normal Music method. Are they getting converted on the fly or something?

I have another odd thing I found during "what are these unsupported data files" sleuthing. I disabled a bunch of stuff in the "Navigation/Share settings" trying to find the 'culprit'. When I disabled thumbnails, the file icons got messed up. I have a "Mix Tape" folder that has lots of different MP3 files, each with an album cover image embedded. They used to be displayed correctly. But when I disabled thumbnails, all the files in the "Mix Tape" folder show the same album cover. Several of the files have that album cover, but they definitely all don't. I restarted UMS but get the same odd behavior. Does that deserve another thread and debug.zip?
Attachments
UMS-settings.jpg
UMS-settings.jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The exception isn't necessarily anything to worry about unless something bad is actually happening. I mean it's not ideal to have exceptions and doesn't look nice but if everything is working it can't be that serious :)
That particular one has been happening for many years and AFAIK doesn't cause problems.

With the PS3 behaviour, it is just that PS3 doesn't support 24-bit audio files unless they are part of a video. So the files that work normally in the Music section of PS3 are probably 16-bit which it supports