External ass subtitle files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
DiksonH

External ass subtitle files

Post by DiksonH »

I am using kodi on a Sony TV which supports external ass file when reading from a usb drive.
However when I play the same video from UMS server, Kodi cannot read the external ass file. Is external ass file supported in UMS?
Internal ass subtitle works fine though.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: External ass subtitle files

Post by SubJunk »

We do support it. In the Kodi config I can see we are using the SubtitleHttpHeader setting which is a specific way to send subtitles, but maybe that only works for certain filetypes on Kodi. Can you please follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines above so I can look at the logs?
DiksonH

Post by DiksonH »

I was playing "test ass.mkv" and the subtitle does not show.
Debug log attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(47.88 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah I see, so it seems the play request is coming from the Sony TV and not Kodi. Not sure if that is our fault or the TV's:
Started playing test ass.mkv on your KD-43X7500F
and since the TV only supports SRT subtitles, it doesn't try to stream the ASS subtitles.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I have created an issue on our tracker for this https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/1639
DiksonH

Post by DiksonH »

SubJunk wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 pm Ah I see, so it seems the play request is coming from the Sony TV and not Kodi. Not sure if that is our fault or the TV's:
Started playing test ass.mkv on your KD-43X7500F
and since the TV only supports SRT subtitles, it doesn't try to stream the ASS subtitles.
It's actually another bug. If kodi is active while I turn off the TV (standby mode) the renderer becomes KD-43X7500 (using xbmc or chromecast ultra.conf). I turn off all transcoding engines as a work around.
I tried restarting kodi, and even when the renderer is kodi, external ass problem still exists.

Another weird thing is when I embed the ass subtitle into test ass.mkv, the subtitle shows correctly as an internal one.

Debug log is attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(50.22 KiB) Downloaded 300 times