Java 8 Update 191 (64 bit) Problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
speckledegg

Java 8 Update 191 (64 bit) Problem

Post by speckledegg »

So I recently updated my Java 8 to update 191, and found that after doing so, I could no longer connect to UMS on my Panasonic Viera.

I tested this a couple of times by uninstalling it, checking UMS (which worked) and then reinstalling and it definitely seems that the Java update is to blame.

Am I doing something obviously incorrect, or is there a compatibility issue with UMS, Java 191 and the Panasonic Viera conf?

Apologies if these are dumb questions - I'm just a 'normal' user with little programming knowledge...

~Mark
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Java 8 Update 191 (64 bit) Problem

Post by SubJunk »

This is interesting since we did have an increase in reports of failed connections after that version of Java was released. Thanks for reporting it. You may be able to fix it manually by using the "force network interface" option on the General tab
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

I tried this an it didn't work. I was hoping the latest UMS update would correct the problem but it hasn't.

As this appears to be a java thing, and the previous version of java works fine, I'm not sure what I need to post to help this get solved. I'm good at following directions if you can point me in the right direction.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You could try it with 7.5.0 since we slightly changed how this works in 7.6.0. Is there any difference between those two versions? Other than that, we might just need to start warning users not to update to that version of Java. Oracle seem to be breaking things with every update recently.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, i had same issue, what i tryied:
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.8.0_191 (32-bit) by Oracle Corporation
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz with 4 cores
Physical Memory: 7.9 GiB
Free Memory: 3.5 GiB
Maximum JVM Memory: 742.4 MiB

My TV is Panasonic TX-P50GT60 using Panasonic VIErA configuration

Install UMS version 8.0.0.A2 and Java 8 versions 162, 171, 172, 181, 191 - can play 1 movie from 10 attempts, after done watching - application crashes, cant install as service called Digital Media Server, doesnt even detect instaled as service and cant uninstall service - had use CMD line command SC delete <#> OR rename service name in wrappers conf. as new install

Install UMS version 7.7.1 and Java 8 versions 162, 171, 172, 181, 191 -can play 1 movie from 10 attempts, after done watching - application crashes, cant install as service called Digital Media Server, doesnt even detect instaled as service and cant uninstall service - had use CMD line command SC delete <#> OR rename service name in wrappers conf. as new install

Install UMS version 7.4.0 and Java 8 191 - everything looks good, can install as service called Universal Media Server, detect instaled as service - can be uninstalled, application doesnt crash

I have feeling, that after 7.5.0 i had issues - but have no proof, have to be tested.