Sync heic images from iphone?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sssmott

Sync heic images from iphone?

Post by sssmott »

Can I sync heic images shot on iPhone directly or should I convert them into JPG/PNG before syncing? Any help would be appreciated as I am new to UMS :D
Komin

Re: Sync heic images from iphone?

Post by Komin »

These HEIC images can't be opened on a computer or other device unless you convert them .
That's what i did :
https://www.tunesbro.com/convert-heic-t ... ndows.html
Last edited by Komin on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: Sync heic images from iphone?

Post by Nadahar »

HEIC can be opened on a computer in theory. The problem is that Apple has chosen to use a patent and license encumbered format, which means that the decoding is only available for commercial, licensed solutions. HEIC basically use H.265 to compress the images, so free open source libraries will probably see the light of day in time if this format becomes widespread. I wouldn't wait for this to happen anytime soon though, as I think many are still "on the fence" waiting to see if this will be worth implementing.

HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format) is an open format in itself, HEIC is only a non-free implementation of HEIF. If another compression method is used, HEIF can become a good replacement for JPEG. The problem is that I don't think that alternative, free compression exists at the moment. There is hope that a variant of AV1 can be used for this in the future, without the licensing fees needed for HEIC. If this happens, HEIF has the potential to become very widespread, but at this stage it's too early to tell how the battle between the commercial interests will play out. Don't expect much effort from the non-commercial actors until the battle is over and the dust is settled, when people have to invest a lot of their unpaid time to make things for others, they usually don't want to waste it on something that turns out to be a waste of time.