Question on h.264 Encoding and GPU Acceleration

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Madoka

Question on h.264 Encoding and GPU Acceleration

Post by Madoka »

I've finally figured out why h.264 encoding was failing for me and managed to get it to work. So, I was testing it out. I leave the transcoding quality on "Automatic" for both settings (I'm wired). If so, is there a noticeable difference between h.264 and MPEG-2 encoding? I don't really notice one, but was curious.

Again, thanks for a great media server!
Last edited by Madoka on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeFlanko

Re: Question on h.264 Encoding

Post by DeFlanko »

I believe that ExSport has a description on this somewhere... ill try and find it.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Yes, there is.
  • MPEG2 is most stable and widely compatible by renderers.
  • MPEG2 demands much less HW resources for encoding. It means your CPU can be able to transcode 720p in h.264 but not in 1080p. But MPEG2 is doable on many modern CPU in 1080p without problems
  • MPEG2 has much higher bitrate for transcoded material (depending on quality). For similar quality the difference is like 150Mbit-MPEG2/25Mbit-h.264
  • So if CPU is able to transcode in realtime, h.264 is better for its lower bitrate which is OK also with WIFI limits
  • But for now h.264 encoding is not so robust and stable as with MPEG2 so if it works for you and you don't see any side effects, why no to use it? 8-)
  • For me h.264 is still buggy as I described here and here but after releasing new version I will give it a second try
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Thanks ExSport!

Sent from my SGH-T999 Using ForumTouch for Android
Madoka

Re: Question on h.264 Encoding and GPU Acceleration

Post by Madoka »

Thanks guys!

I have a second question now... :D

I have a laptop with switchable graphics. The Enable GPU Acceleration box is greyed out. IE 10/11 will use the Intel HD 3000 GPU, and I can set MPC-HC to use the Radeon HD 6770M GPU. I haven't been able to get UMS to recognize that I have any GPU at all. Is this possible with UMS with this setup?