Trying to figure a format that works with my Roku 1

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
go_nuts

Trying to figure a format that works with my Roku 1

Post by go_nuts »

Hey

Let me start off by stating that I understand that the Roku 1 is not supported. So I am understanding of the lack of assistance that I might get. But assistance would be greatly appreciated.

So let me start of with what my goal is:
I would like to figure out a format that will play on my Roku 1 media player application.

Now, I understand that the hardware is not supported but the reason that I even ask is because I downloaded a file from https://www.sample-videos.com/ with a .mp4 container and it appears to be playing well on my roku 1 device while being served with UMS.

I have attempted to see if other formats work by trying out everything in VideoTestingSuite (which is something that I found a link to within the forum) and none of these formats work.

But my though is if I can find the "correct combination" of container-video-audio that I might be able to transcode or convert files( I don't already have a lot of media in media server drive so I can convert if needed) into that format so that I might be able to view media on that device.

So that is why my question is what tools/commands will I need and how should I proceed to further my investigation.
Also let me know if anything I stated seems foolish and let me know if you might need any of my log files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
atamariya

Re: Trying to figure a format that works with my Roku 1

Post by atamariya »

You don't need to permanently convert the files - UMS can do that on the fly. Use an appropriate renderer configuration (use existing one to start) which is supported by Roku 1.
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3
go_nuts

Post by go_nuts »

Hey atamariya,

Thanks for the response. I think I may discover the root of my issues. Which is the time it takes to transcode on a raspberry pi (ARMv6) model B. I assume the other devices renderers can view the content without transcoding I can play multiple videos but when transcoding is involved it must just timeout.

So my thought is that I will need to convert the file to a format Roku renderer understands. The other devices are using VLC which seems to be able to render a lot.
Does my idea seem sound or am I still missing something?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

A Raspberry Pi probably won't have enough power to transcode anything, so that assumption is correct. To be able to use the Roku in combination with a Raspberry Pi would thus indeed require you to convert the videos upfront, which to a large extent eliminates the need for a media server like UMS ;) In any case, I can't really find much useful information on the Roku support site, but they do say this:

Code: Select all

Formats supported by your Roku device can be viewed by accessing the ?/Help pages from the Media Device and the Media Type selection screens.
This might give you an idea what formats you can use.
go_nuts

Post by go_nuts »

Hey Nadahar,

Thanks for the response. I still think that I am going to UMS because it's FOSS, uses a language that I know, and has a community that responses to questions from noobs without disdain but supported me in my pursuit.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your responsiveness and assistance. I hope that I can provide the same to someone else in the future.