[Solved] Can UMS stream to another PC?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gareee

[Solved] Can UMS stream to another PC?

Post by Gareee »

We've been using UMS with our PS3, and also have a gaming PC hardwired to our 82" dumb tv.

I've been concerned about eventual PS3 failure, and figured we'd just use UMS on the PS4 once we had it installed, but of course now we are hearing that the PS4 does not and may not ever come with media server support.

Is there a way to access UMS from the gaming PC? I can see UMS in windows media player on the gaming pc, but it shows no files available.

I'm sure there is probably some way to do this, but just am not sure how you are supposed to do it.

(For some reason our home network works/does not work sometimes with our main media pc sometimes not showing up to the gaming pc, so I figured accessing UMS from the gaming pc would be the easiest solution.)
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Stoopid question: Can UMS stream to another PC?

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes, use XBMC or something similar.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

Thanks!
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

What I'm trying to do is replicate the functionality I see in the ps3 interface accessing ums server files from xbmc.

I can appear to add content folders from ums, but when I select them to play a file, no actual video files are shown.

Looks like learning ums, its another new tool that has a slight learning curve.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

You don't need to do anything. Maybe restart UMS first.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

I had something running in th ebackground that was a HUGE resource hog, and once I kilt it, things worked perfectly. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I chimed in about the possibility of using this in the ps4 thread.