UMS stopped getting detected by clients such as PS4 after router replacement

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
orudie

UMS stopped getting detected by clients such as PS4 after router replacement

Post by orudie »

Hello,

I replaced my old TP-Link Archer C5 router with the new ASUS RT-AC68U router. After this replacement my Sumsung TV nor PS4 Pro does not recognize / detect the universal media server (UMS) on my network. My UMS is installed on windows 10.

Any suggeststions what can I do to make the UMS server discoverable again?

Regards
Last edited by orudie on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
orudie

Re: UMS stopped not detected by clients after router replacement

Post by orudie »

Does anyone have any ideas for me about why UMS no longer gets detected by clients such as PS4 and Samsung TV after I replaced Linksys router with ASAS router?

Before the router replacement it was detecting fine and I was able to play movies/videos on both PS4 and Samsung TV.

Regards
EnumOlive

Re: UMS stopped getting detected by clients such as PS4 after router replacement

Post by EnumOlive »

Hi orudie

Could you please follow the instructions in the Problem Reporting Guidelines to attach your debugging information?

Also, you could try manually setting the network interface.

Go to the General Configuration tab and under Network Settings (Advanced) use the dropdown for Force networking on interface: to choose your local network.
boss

Re: UMS stopped getting detected by clients such as PS4 after router replacement

Post by boss »

Is the IP address of the new router the same as the old one.
EG: The old router could have been 192.168.0.1
The new one might be 192.168.1.1
If your devices have fixed IP's in the 192.168.0.* range it won't work,
orudie

Post by orudie »

Spent several hours today again trying to get UMS to work with ASUS RT-AC68U router. Even flashed it with merlin firmware, and still no luck.

When I switch routers to my old TPLINK Archer C5 - UMS works right away.

Yes the IP addresses are different between the two routers, but it really doesn't matter, because when I restart UMS i can see in the logs that it picks up the new IP address.

When trying to google this issue I do not get much, but found this other forum post where someone else was having the same issue with ASUS router and UMS back in 2015.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus- ... ver.28955/

I also noticed that this router has a built in UPnP media server which is enabled by default for attached usb disks. I turned off the built in UPnP media server but still no luck.
I am not able to attach the router's user manual because of the file size limit. But it can be downloaded from asus website.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U ... ign=router

I am also attaching the trace logs from UMS.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(50.47 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Simply question. What is the IP address of the PS4? The Samsung TV is recognized with the IP address

Code: Select all

and the UMS has IP address

Code: Select all

so the PS4 must also have address in the range 192.168.1.0 ... 254
orudie

Post by orudie »

actually it turns out that my UMS Windows 10 firewall was not open for incoming traffic on my new subnet after replacing routers.

I set my my new profile to public instead of home/private when my new network was detected by windows.

After changing my network type from public to private my UMS is working now!

Thanks everyone who looked into my issue.

Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(48.5 KiB) Downloaded 415 times