Bigger videos needs to be loaded several times before playback will start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Raident

Bigger videos needs to be loaded several times before playback will start

Post by Raident »

I have no problems with playing back 720p videos.

However, when I select most 1080p videos for the first time (and sometimes the second and third times as well), my Sony Bravia TV will try to load the file for about 30 seconds or so, then give me the error "The server is not accessible. Access may not be permitted by the server." On the UMS side, the blue progress bar will get up to about 80% before dropping back down to 0.

After 2-3 attempts, the video will finally play. Is transcoding happening too slowly, causing the TV to time out? If so, is there any way to make UMS either transcode faster or buffer less before starting so as to avoid this problem?
Nadahar

Re: Bigger videos needs to be loaded several times before playback will start

Post by Nadahar »

There can be so many reasons, so don't expect an answer until you've created debug files as described in red above. That said, if the problematic files have internal SRT subtitles this is a known issue (with FFmpeg) and the "solution" is to defer to MEncoder for these videos.
Raident

Re: Bigger videos needs to be loaded several times before playback will start

Post by Raident »

Thanks for the quick response.

You must be a mind reader - the problematic files do indeed have internal subtitles, and disabling FFmpeg and switching to MEncoder did indeed resolve the issue right away.