How to add all disks *.* back to shared content

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Raiga

How to add all disks *.* back to shared content

Post by Raiga »

Hi, I'm new to the forum but been using UMS for couple of years. Recent change really bugs me. In the past UMS by deafult shared all disks that are connected to my PC when program was launched. Now I must choose whatever location or it will just use default from my profile folder. How can I change this back to use all disks *.* ? I use many different USB HDD and they not always get the same letter so don't want to be bothered with constantly changing this in UMS settings.
I couldn't find solution for this in Google so I hope that here someone will help me solve my problem. Also sorry if it is already posted somewhere but I couldn't find it by forum search either.
Nadahar

Re: How to add all disks *.* back to shared content

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think that's possible anymore. Sharing all drives was really a "bug", it will make UMS scan a lot of files that aren't media files and this will make UMS very slow and also have the potential to cause random crashes and other issues. On top of that, some users consider it a "security issue" that files in folders they haven't explicitly chosen are shared.

What you can do, is assign drive letters to your removable drives in Windows. When you haven't assigned any letter, the drives will just "fill up from the bottom" using the alphabet and won't always get the same letter. If you instead assign it manually, the letters should be remembered on a per-drive basis and you should be able to configure UMS to use those specific drives.
cjb

Post by cjb »

I found the original PS3 server 'all drives' default option to be perfect for my own use, whether an unintended bug or not. I have a PC with 3 HDD each having 1 system and 1 data partition... ie 6 drives. I'm sure others with extensive database drives will have similar.
PS3 MS would list all drives in logical order and then immediately scan whichever I selected on my PS3.

I find that UMS having removed this default option to be a pain. Perhaps in some future upgrade the option to select All Drives or individual drives be left to the user as a matter of personal choice rather than forcing options ?? .. unless you're MS in disguise of course LOL

In the meantime i'll continue with PS3 MS and see little advantage with UMS.. sorry.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's impossible to please everyone. Others have made a lot of noise about this behavior, both because it makes UMS extremely slow (depending on how many files there are on the system) and because some claim that it's a "privacy issue".

In the meanwhile, UMS has changed so that it (since UMS 7.0) scans all shared folder during startup. This is necessary to make UMS aware of the available media to present it in the "media library", if you prefer to browse by category instead of by folder structure. Startup scanning and sharing "all drives" obviously don't go hand-in-hand. I can't quite see the difficulty in adding 6 shared folders though, I have many more defined.