[Solved] UMS Won't Startup

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS Won't Startup

Post by SubJunk »

Ok thanks. I'm away from my Windows computer until Thursday so I'll try to figure out how to build UMS for Windows on my mac and try to get some test builds to you ASAP
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

While I'm away from my Windows computer I'll post .jar files to test, so instead of running the installer I think you can just rename it to ums.jar and put it in the installation directory

https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... 42f4ca.jar
randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Provided ums.jar placed into the 9.0.0-b2 shows similar result of Java appearing in the task manager for 1-2 seconds before disappearing/ no debug.log or startup.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ok thanks, how about https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... 0dd5a7.jar ? It's not an actual fix but might give me more of an idea about the cause
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Also I see you've posted in this thread Nadahar, do you have any idea about it? Maybe I made a mistake when I merged that code in, or I missed some prior dependency
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I seem to vaguely remember something somewhat familiar that I might have fixed in DMS a long time ago. That said, it could be the merging as well.

I'd say that the easiest way would be to start UMS from the command line using "java.exe" instead of "javaw.exe":

Code: Select all

java -jar ums.jar trace
"javaw.exe" hides all the console output, but "java.exe" does not. That means that the log will be output directly to the console so that you can catch an error that happens before the logging system is up and running.
randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Same result with the new provided .jar

Nadahur here is the error of the console that appears when the provided code is used.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server>java -jar ums.jar trace
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration.<init>(PmsConfiguration.java:613)
        at net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration.<init>(PmsConfiguration.java:573)
        at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:1011)
Caused by: java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <"> at index 0: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.normalize(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsPath.parse(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystem.getPath(Unknown Source)
        at java.nio.file.Paths.get(Unknown Source)
        at net.pms.util.FileUtil.getOSPath(FileUtil.java:2257)
        at net.pms.util.FileUtil.findInOSPath(FileUtil.java:2312)
        at net.pms.util.FileUtil.findExecutableInOSPath(FileUtil.java:2276)
        at net.pms.configuration.WindowsProgramPaths.<init>(WindowsProgramPaths.java:113)
        at net.pms.configuration.PlatformProgramPaths.<clinit>(PlatformProgramPaths.java:147)
        ... 3 more
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This makes all the difference ;) The problem is caused by an invalid PATH environment variable. You shouldn't use double quotes inside the PATH, so just modify it and UMS (and other software that relies on the PATH) will start working.

https://www.architectryan.com/2018/03/1 ... indows-10/
https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml
randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Works now! :D Didn't see a path set with quotes there were 3 with reference to java and one of the path had a java+python mix. I deleted the three paths then reinstalled java now the there is one path and UMS works!!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Very nice, thanks both of you for the help and testing. Considering that it used to work, and that we seem to have a lot of people encountering the same problem, I am still interested in finding a way to support the invalid path.
If I make a proposed fix, can you please break your path again and test it, randomusername?