PS3/PS4 won't play subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
labi

PS3/PS4 won't play subtitles

Post by labi »

I have a mkv that is French audio with Forced French subtitles on one track and English subtitles on another track.

I have set to play subtitles with *,* and it won't play either of them.

I set it back to eng,off;*,eng;*,und but i cant get it to play any subtitles.

Any help is appreciated. Trace log is attached
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(79.62 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Rejpal

Re: PS3/PS4 won't play subtitles

Post by Rejpal »

As far as I know the PS3/PS4 doesn't support MKVs with embedded subtitles. You have to demux subtitles into separate file, *.SRT preferably, and give it the same name as it's the name of the MKV file - like "movie.mkv" and "movie.eng.srt" or "movie.fr.srt"
labi

Post by labi »

I don't keep movies after I watch them, but I know i've watched other movies with subtitles embedded on my ps3. And yes, they were not hardcoded subs. Then again, I know ive had trouble playing subtitles with some mkv's as well on the ps3.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

PS4 does support mkv's with embedded subtitles (and other audio tracks) and even streamed subs if enabled in config file. The media player calls them closed captions though (CC in menu).
If you have a ps3 that jailbroken you could use movian, it has much better support for subs and audio tracks. it's one downside is that it cannot play x265 encoded videos at full speed as the cpu in the ps3 is too slow.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.