Massive desktop stutter when UMS is doing nothing but idling

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
TwistedMetalGear

Massive desktop stutter when UMS is doing nothing but idling

Post by TwistedMetalGear »

I just built a new PC and got UMS installed on it. With the UMS window showing and doing nothing but idling, my Windows desktop slows to a crawl. Massive mouse stutter and freezing. It also lowers my desktop frame rate to what feels like 20 fps. CPU usage isn't even that high when this is happening, hitting 4-5% tops. The stutter resolves itself as soon as I close the UMS window. Does anyone know what's going on here?

System specs:
Windows 10 Home
JRE 8 (latest version)
UMS 7.8.0
i9 9900k
16GB DDR4 3200
2080 Ti
Nadahar

Re: Massive desktop stutter when UMS is doing nothing but idling

Post by Nadahar »

It certainly isn't your hardware :D A very nice, and expensive, setup - but why would you run a crippled "home edition" of Windows on such a rig?

Anyway, to the point, this is clearly a bug with UMS. I'm not sure what exactly, but there are many potential issues that could "hold control" over the screen drawing process for too long without it being a lack of "available performance". I haven't tested the later versions of UMS since they are so full of bugs, but I don't think I've ever heard this one before. There's one potential issue I can think of, and that is if you're running "trace" logging and there's a lot going on in your log so that the "Log" tab in UMS gets very busy scrolling through thousands of lines. If this is the case, try to set the "log level" to "info" and see if it makes a difference.
TwistedMetalGear

Nadahar wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 am but why would you run a crippled "home edition" of Windows on such a rig?
Crippled in what way? I need absolutely none of the features that Windows 10 pro offers.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't remember all the sabotage Microsoft has done to the "home" editions, but I know it's a lot - and it's not always documented. The thing is that these "editions" are all fake, the reality is that the "pro" version is what was previously known just as Windows. The "home" editions run on the same codebase, but they have made a number of modifications to block access to various parts of the system. This is what I call "sabotage". It's not that it simply doesn't have "all the features" of the "pro" version, it's that things have been intentionally sabotaged.

As an example, take file permissions. It's not like "home" editions doesn't have file permissions, they are a fundamental part of NTFS and thus Windows. But, to sabotage, they have removed all access to change or view file permissions. I guess the idea is that the "home" user doesn't need permissions. The problem is though, that some times other software or Windows itself fucks up the file permissions so that you have to change them to solve a problem. With home edition you then have to restart in safe mode (because there you can actually access them...!), make the changes and then reboot again. Then you can see if it solved the problem... and rinse and repeat until you go crazy or solves the problem, whatever comes first.

There's also the lack of remote desktop capability (which has been there since Windows 2000, but was removed when they invented the "home" editions). In addition I seem to remember that you have to log in with a "Microsoft account" (online account, instead of a local) on Win 10 home. If that is correct, it means that they will track everything you do.

I also think they have severely crippled the network capabilities, but since I don't have any "home" editions I can't really check.

I have been burned by the "home" editions when trying to help others, but I don't remember all the details. My main objection is that it's not a "basic system" that simply lacks "pro" features, it's an edition where they have created limitations on top. That leads to some really bad situations, so I won't get anywhere near it.

It was just a comment though, I just thought the contrast between what you have spent on hardware and the small difference in the software cost was "strange" ;) From what I can see, the difference in the price for the OEM versions is around $50. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a rip off that Windows cost that much in the first place, but in the big picture I wouldn't risk potential frustrations to save $50 on such a rig ;)
TwistedMetalGear

Not sure what you are talking about, I can view and modify file permissions just fine. Remote desktop I've never used in my entire life. Windows 10 Pro is more small business oriented than home. For a gaming rig it just doesn't make sense. If I ever need a Windows 10 Pro feature, there is plenty of 3rd party software out there that does just as good or even better than the stuff that comes with Windows 10 Pro. For me it's just senseless bloat that I will never use.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, it was just my initial reaction when I saw you specs, no big deal. If permissions are back in the "home" version of Windows that's very good, but it used to be hidden in previous versions at least. I'm sure there are other similar caveats though, but since I'm keeping clear of both Windows 10 and the "home" editions I don't know what they are ;)

That said, I use remote desktop many times a day and don't quite know how people do without it. It is miles better than any other remote-control feature that I've tried, VNC and everything built on it or similar principles simply has way too much latency for me to be useful for anything than short sessions.
TwistedMetalGear

Back on topic, I figured this out. For some really odd reason UMS doesn't play well with GSYNC. I had to disable GSYNC in windowed mode and my desktop no longer slows to a crawl when UMS is in the foreground.