UMS not finding PS3 (tried almost everything!)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Griffith

UMS not finding PS3 (tried almost everything!)

Post by Griffith »

Hi everyone, this post really is a last resort so hopefully I can get this working.

I'm running a (newly installed) Windows 10 on a laptop and trying to stream to a PS3. Both are connected wireless and both have uninterrupted working internet connection and connection to the access point. This is my first time trying UMS.

I will try to list everything I've tried, but it's a lot so I may not remember everything:

- Forcing all the Advanced Networking settings
- Turning off my firewall
- Adding rules to the firewall
- Rebooting everything, over 5 times
- Turning off different devices in case of any interference
- Using PS3 Media Server, and also another similar program called Serviio, neither of which worked either
- Re-installing UMS
- Forwarding ports in my router settings
- Activated media sharing from Windows Media Player
- Turned on file and printer sharing as well as network discovery in control panel
- Enabling media sharing on the PS3 and sure the console has a different IP to my desktop

When I run WMP it appears as a renderer, same when I open the web interface, but that's my only luck so far.

I've spent pretty much the whole day trying to make this work. I've read every forum post in the first 10 pages on Google, even looked it up in other languages, but nothing seems to be working. I'm really out of ideas.

Thank you.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(33.23 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Nadahar

Re: UMS not finding PS3 (tried almost everything!)

Post by Nadahar »

It seems like your UMS computer and your PS3 isn't on the same subnet. According to your log, UMS uses 192.168.1.5. Assuming that you use the standard subnet mask, that would mean that your PS3 would need to have an IP address that starts with 192.168.1.

UMS and renderers can't have to go through a router to reach each other. The reason is that routers won't forward multicast packets unless you have an advanced router and a lot of knowledge of how to configure it. What is the IP address of your PS3? By the way, manually assigning a 192.168.1.x IP to the PS3 won't help if they are on separate LANs, so the question is there to verify that they are automatically assigned IP addresses in the same range/subnet.
Griffith

Post by Griffith »

From what I understand, both the PS3 and my computer are on the same subnet (192.168.1.x). I've confirmed this by looking at my PS3's connection information and also by logging into my WiFi router to see connected devices. All my connected devices have dynamic IPs.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I looked in your log at see no trace of any communications with the PS3. In my experience that only happens when the problem is on a network level so that they cannot communicate. That means it's down to: network configuration (not on the same subnet), blocked by software or OS (firewall/AV) or a buggy router.

I have seen some cases before where cold booting the router has solved "mysterious" problems where the multicase packages never arrives. I guess it's worth a shot. Also, if you're sure that they are on the same subnet, you should make sure that the firewall you've disabled is the correct one. It needs to be all firewalls running on the computer running UMS. Do NOT disable the firewall in your router. Some AV software has a firewall in them and will keep on blocking even if the OS firewall is disabled.

To test simple, unicase network connectivity your should run "ping 192.168.1.x" where "x" is the address used by your PS3 from the computer running UMS. Ping should get replies, or there is something fundamental that's wrong with your network. It only tests unicast though, so there can still be issues with multicast even if ping works. But, if there's no unicast, you can be sure there's no multicast either.

I can't really think of anything else, the problem must be with the network/router/firewall.
Griffith

Post by Griffith »

I can ping the PS3. I've tried disabling firewall and antivirus, but it still doesn't work. And as I said, they are on the same subnet. Cold booting has been done a few times already.

I really have no idea, I've scanned every option I could within the control panel, firewall settings, my router control panel, the PS3's settings, and UMS' settings also.

Unlikely probably, but could it be my PS3's firmware version? It's on 4.81 atm but I know the latest is 4.84. Was avoiding the update in case CFW becomes available for my version sooner.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've never heard of that the PS3 firmware disables UPnP/DLNA completely, but I guess as this point anything is possible. I can't really see anything more to try, from your log there simply are no attempted communication and that can only mean that the packages doesn't get there.

The only thing I can think of is to try to figure out if the problem is with the UMS computer or with the PS3. If you have another computer on the network, you could try VLC, Kodi or in the worst case WMP and see if they can "see" UMS. Alternatively you could use a mobile/tablet and an UPnP/DLNA application, like BubbleUPnP and do the same. If either of these can "see" UMS, the problem is with the PS3 and vice versa.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Is the mediaplayer enabled on the ps3? there is an option to disable it in network options. Not being on the latest firmware won't cause any problems. if you are still on 4.81 i would look into jailbreaking it and give movian a try.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Patch

Post by Patch »

I was having this same problem.

My Java recently auto-updated and the Windows Firewall for it was defaulted to block connection.
As soon as checked Allow the connection, the PS3 and PS4 started talking to it.
I didn't need to restart Java or UMS or the PS4, it just showed up.

Griffith

Post by Griffith »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've just found the solution!!!

When I said tried almost everything, I really meant it, but what I'd ignored the whole time was a small notification in my router's interface saying "Update router firmware"... After doing this it works! UMS found my PS3 and LG TV instantly.

Of all the things I tried and went through, I feel stupid but satisfied. I can't explain why a minor update from Version X.27 to X.30 on my router's firmware would trigger it to work, but it doesn't matter.

Now I just need to get the subtitles working properly, but I'll read up about it and try to fix it. :)