[Solved] UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MrNumeros

[Solved] UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

Post by MrNumeros »

I have a Netgear r6400. Firmware updated.

All was fine until I made the mistake of running Netgear Genie which created its own renderer in UMS that as far as I can tell doesn't support as many media types as my PS3 did. I can exit the program which makes it disappear from the renderer list, but the PS3 won't come back.
In troubleshooting myself I've reset the PS3 settings back to default/Easy setup so if there's something in there I need to change I'll need to know that as well.
Tried on multiple UMS versions. Uninstalling and reinstalling.
I have the PS3 wired to the router which is wired to my PC. As I said this used to work just fine.
I don't think it's a UMS thing, but a router/PC setting thing so I would like to know what to set.
I'm a novice so please ask and I'll provide information as best I can.

Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(117.38 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by MrNumeros on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

Post by Nadahar »

If it stopped working when you did something with your router, the problem is with your router. There's no way for us to help you figure out your router, but it seems that it no longer routes multicast packets, which UPnP/DLNA is relying on.
MrNumeros

Re: UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

Post by MrNumeros »

Ok well like I said I only ran the Netgear Genie program so I'm guessing there's some setting I need to change back to the way it was.
Turn UPnP on is on
Enable DLNA Media server is off
Use router as DHCP Server is on (tried both - when off PS3 couldn't connect to internet at all)
Disable IGMP Proxying is off (tried both)
MrNumeros

Re: [Solved] UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

Post by MrNumeros »

Googled and found this:
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... php?t=8585

Recreated the port rules in Windows Firewall according to the post.
Noticed Java(TM) Platform SE binary was blocked as an Inbound Rule - disabled that rule.
PS3 found as a renderer in UMS and PS3 found UMS as a media server!
reliken

Re: [Solved] UMS no longer able to find PS3 as a renderer

Post by reliken »

Just a few days ago, UMS stopped detecting the PS3 as my renderer, even when I forced detection of the PS3. Running Windows 7 64-bit.

I went through all my antivirus stuff, firewall settings, double-checked connections, did a fresh install of UMS, none of it worked.
Googled and found this:
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... php?t=8585

Recreated the port rules in Windows Firewall according to the post.
Noticed Java(TM) Platform SE binary was blocked as an Inbound Rule - disabled that rule.
PS3 found as a renderer in UMS and PS3 found UMS as a media server!
Found the exact same blocked rule in mine - disabling it allowed UMS to detect the PS3 as a renderer just like you.

Thanks for sharing your solution!