Javaw.exe memory issue

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gilles

Javaw.exe memory issue

Post by Gilles »

I am running UMS 8.0.1 build 20190331 on Windows seven with jre 1.8.0_12.
After watching a movie, the memory used by the tawk javaw.exe (used by UMS) has grown to 5 GB (maximum available).
When I stop UMS , the javaw.exe tasks remains and there is no way to kill it . Even taskkill /F doesn't kill it.
ums.JPG
ums.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 9338 times
It is not related to this UMS release because it already happened before.
Any hint ?
Gilles

Re: Javaw.exe memory issue

Post by Gilles »

I still have the issue.
I have a javaw task growing eating now 870MB RAM + the javaw ums task.
When I stop UMS, the first java task is never stopped and I cannot kill it. Each time I need to reboot.
Any suggestion ?
I am running Windows seven.
ums2.JPG
ums2.JPG (42.08 KiB) Viewed 9270 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As you can read in many threads on this forum, there's a known bug where UMS won't release resources that has "been in use" (it doesn't mean played, browsing or scanning is enough). Later versions have implemented a remedy that doesn't fix the bug, but tries to "go around it". I don't know how well this works, as I haven't tested it.

The speed at which the memory consumption grows depends on the size of your media library (not in bytes, but in number of media files). Turning off thumbnails can reduce the memory allocation, but won't change the fundamental problem.

All this is "normal". What is not normal is that the memory isn't released when you quit UMS. Are you sure you aren't running UMS as a service? If you do, you need to stop the service (from the Service Manager) to release the memory. If you're not running UMS as a service, I have no idea what would cause this. I would try to reinstall the latest version of Java 8 and see if that has any effect on the issue.
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

I have doublechecked. I don't run UMS as a service.
I have reinstalled java.
java.JPG
java.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
Nothing has changed.
Yesterday, I used UMS to watch movies on my TV. This morning my Desktop is short of memory due to UMS (6GB RAM).
I have stopped UMS (right click then quit) but the task is still there.
ums3.JPG
ums3.JPG (90.55 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
I have tried to kill the task, but no way. I will have to reboot again(+ restart several VMs).
I run Windows seven family premium with 12GB RAM, I5.

Is there something wrong with this configuration?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I can't see any problem with your system as such, and have no idea based on the information currently available. You should post debug files as described above if you want somebody to look further into this. If so, you need to leave the debug "recording" over night so that it can capture what happens when your memory fills up.

Since I'm no longer an UMS developer, I don't really know what has changed in later versions, so there could be new bugs that I'm not aware of. I suggest that a current developer picks this us.
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

I think that the only way to get rid of this memory increase is to stop/start UMS every day.

Is there a CLI way to stop and start UMS so I can schedule it with Windows Seven ?

I have found a start command ( UMS.exe <argument 1> <argument 2> <...argument X> ) but nothing about a stop command.
Gilles
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sadly there is no way to stop UMS gracefully on Windows. It will respond to `sigterm` signals, but Windows doesn't support this. If you run it as a service you can stop it using "net stop", but then you can't use the GUI.
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

Thanks
So the UMS(javaw) task memory grows and grows each time that I watch a movie on the TV and seems to grow until there is no more RAM available.

When I stop it, right click on the UMS icon in the Windows taskbar then "quit", the GUI closes, I don't see the UMS icon anymore in the taskbar, but the javaw.exe task remains in the windows task manager
ums3.JPG
ums3.JPG (90.55 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
The only option is to reboot the PC.

Nothing that can be done ? Any setting?
I am running UMS 8.0.1 build 20190331 on Windows seven with jre 1.8.0_12.
Do you recommend to upgrade to the last version(8.1.0) ? The changelog doesn't say anything about this issue.

Thanks
Gilles
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

Just to add a remark.
If I stop UMS after watching only one movie ( UMS javaw Memory < 1GB) , it seems that when I stop the UMS , the javaw.exe task stops . When the memory is too big, then the javaw.exe task doesn't stop anymore and I have to reboot the Desktop.
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

More info for problem determination
When I try to kill the javaw.exe process(pid 2128) , I am told that this cannot be done because there is a child process(pid2060).
Then, when I want to kill the child process(2060), I am told that it doesn't exist.

So I am stuck.
I have installed "Process Explorer v16.22, but no way.
I cannot reboot my desktop every 2 days.
Any idea is welcomed.