UMS won't play long file names [Solved]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Videodoctor

UMS won't play long file names [Solved]

Post by Videodoctor »

I am having a problem at the moment.When i download a tv show or movie with a very long name,the UMS says it cannot be parsed and doesn't display it on the tv downstairs.
If i manually edit the file name and shorten it then it will show up downstairs and play fine.
It almost as if there's a setting in UMS that says if the file name is larger than X then don't show it.I want to edit this parameter and increase the value.

Hope all this makes sense.
Thanks
Nadahar

Re: UMS won't play long file names

Post by Nadahar »

There's no such parameter in UMS. OS'es and filesystems have various limitations for file name length or total path length, and you probably violate one of these limits. They aren't parameters either, lengths aren't limited "for fun". The reason for such length limitations is the available memory reserved for holding names in various structures and functions.

I can't say for sure that there's not some kind of bug in UMS that causes this, but my bet is that you're on Windows and that your filenames are longer than what Windows accept. For some reason it's sometimes possible to download or copy files that can't be handled by many OS functions. If you try to rename one of them to the same length (don't shorten them, just replace e.g one character), and Windows returns an error and won't let you, you know that the Windows limitation is the cause.

You can also try to move the files to a folder close to the root, so that the total path is shorter. That might also help.
Videodoctor

Post by Videodoctor »

The thing is that the file names aren't all that long
An example is this
Extremely.Wicked.Shockingly.Evil.and.Vile.2019.1080p.NF.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-CMRG

This will not show up in UMS and says it's unable to parse and will be hidden.

If i manually rename the file to this

Extremely.Wicked.Shockingly.Evil.and.Vile

Then it shows up and works fine.

Very weird going ons!!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As I said, I can't be sure if there's a bug, but I still bet it's some Windows limitation. What is the full path (Including drive/folder names)?

The total path length is limited to 260 characters: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... limitation
Videodoctor

Post by Videodoctor »

Has anyone also had this problem? I still cannot get long filenames to show on any tv if the name is longer than say 30 characters long? If i edit the file name to shorter then it shows up on the tv.I don't think it's a windows limitation as that is for VERY long filenames(a few hundred characters)

Is there any setting or config file name that i can edit?
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have 2 LG tv's,one of which is very new and that doesn't show long filenames either.
Weirdly the folder names that are the same length show up but not the actual movie files.
Any help would be most appreciated.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Best way is to follow the forum rules written in red above and send the log.
boss

Post by boss »

I'm thinking you have violated the windows file name limitation.
This limitation includes the complete path and file name.

If you are using windows 10, you can modify the registry to overcome this limit.
Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
Double click LongPathsEnabled
Set to 1 and click OK
Reboot
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Another possibility is that the TV can't handle names that are too long - regardless of the path length that Windows chokes on. A log file would shed some more light on what's actually happening.
boss

Post by boss »

I am running LG WebOS TV's
I just renamed a video to "Extremely.Wicked.Shockingly.Evil.and.Vile.2019.1080p.NF.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-CMRG" and I can see and play that video.

Maybe post the full path including that video name.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@boss That pretty much excludes that possibility then :)