Solutions for UMS when it stop sharing on your devices

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Romcollector

Solutions for UMS when it stop sharing on your devices

Post by Romcollector »

Good morning,

I have been using PS3 Media Server and UMS for many years, and I found many solutions on this board when the media server was malfunctioning for no reason, mainly after updates or even in the middle of the day.

I actually created an account on this forum to thank the creators and managers of this great program, but also to share the most common solutions, including a pretty special one that occurred yesterday.

So here's my top 5 solutions when UMS stops sharing with the PS4, TV or Ipad:

1. For no reasons, the exception made for Java in Windows firewall has been removed and needs to be reactivated.
2. Sometimes, Java makes updates and create multiple entries in the firewall. One of them is deactivated and UMS needs it to be functioning properly.
3. Java update is a mess and you need to roll back to an earlier version.
4. The last UMS update has issues with the current hardware, so you need to keep the previous version. Honestly, this could be another Java issue, not an UMS bug.
5. Yesterday :), I lost the sharing signal and banged my head on the wall because the usual steps 1-2-3 were not the problem. After reinstalling defferent versions of Java 8 and UMS, I finally decided to check my main log and noticed that UMS decided, out of the blue, to connect to my blackberry instead of my network card. Really funny, as my hotspot was not even turned on. Anyways, I laughed, went into the general settings / force networking on interface and selected my ethernet card. Immediate results on all my devices.

Hope this can help some of you in the future.

Thanks again to the entire team for making my life more enjoyable :)
Last edited by Romcollector on Sun May 26, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: Solutions for UMS when it stop sharing on your devices

Post by Nadahar »

The codebase doesn't contain an AI that can "judge" which network interface is probably what the user wants, so it will simply pick the first one listed that has a valid IPv4 address. This usually turns out to be the desirable one, but not always. The order of the network interfaces evaluated depends on the OS. Some Windows updates seems to pretty randomly reorder the network interfaces. My guess is that driver updates sometimes moves a certain network interface "to the end of the list". In any case, if this happens and you happen to have another network interface with a valid IPv4 address that now becomes the first listed, UMS will use this one if nothing is specified.

Specifying which network interface to use will avoid this nuisance.