UMS / PS4 / transcode folder "there is no playable media"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mikeaoller

UMS / PS4 / transcode folder "there is no playable media"

Post by mikeaoller »

Hi there,

for my wife to understand the S07 of GoT (and next week S08), I need to transcode the MKV files I have and add external Russian subtitles. Usually this works flawlessly, but, as you already may assume, not this time:

If I enter the "transcode" folder the message "there is no playable media" is displayed by my PS4, although the files are recognized and played perfectly by FFmpeg outside the "transcode" folder. The problematic behaviour of the "transcode" folder exists with and without the .srt subtitle files in the season's folder, so I think they are not relevant for the problem.

I uploaded my current debug.log - please help :)

Best wishes,
Jonathan

p.s. - what I've tried until now:
  • Reset the Windows ACLs on the season's folder and its files
  • Restarted the Windows machine UMS runs on
  • Restarted UMS
  • Tried different standard engines
  • Reinstalled 8.01 standalone freshly
  • Installed 8.1.0 standalone freshly
  • Tried the same directly on my Samsung Series TV (instead of the PS/4) - same behaviour: no content in the transcode folder
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(74.26 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by mikeaoller on Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik_s

Re: UMS / PS4 / transcode folder "there is no playable media"

Post by mik_s »

If your files already have internal subs then there might be a problem choosing external subs to override them. the PS4 mediaplayer can display subs from an external file if your config is set up for it then you wouldn't need to transcode, it might help to overide the internal subs but not sure. This is the config i use on my PS4
Sony-PlayStation4.conf
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

mik_s wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 am If your files already have internal subs then there might be a problem choosing external subs to override them. the PS4 mediaplayer can display subs from an external file if your config is set up for it then you wouldn't need to transcode, it might help to overide the internal subs but not sure. This is the config i use on my PS4 Sony-PlayStation4.conf
Thank you - I'll try this tomorrow, maybe it helps to workaround the real problem that the files are not recognised as perfect for transcoding and therefore the transcode folder shows "there is no playable media" - which clearly is a bug that needs to be fixed. If that bug wouldn't exist, there was no need to tweak the renderer config file. Hopefully one of the developers can tell me shortly why the problem exists and how it can/will be fixed. I'm willing to help in any way needed.
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

Could one of the developers / moderators please look into this issue?