is UMS also a render itself?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jaatavaresf

is UMS also a render itself?

Post by jaatavaresf »

I didn't find this answer anywhere.
I installed UMS and I know it shares content, but it is not clear if it offers the renderering feature since it asks for mplayer on linux, for example ...
Is mplayer used just for transcoding or for renderer?

I am trying to run a upnp renderer on a Raspberry Pi, but seems like the options are limited.
Also, RPi only plays accelerated video on oxmplayer, so any rendering call would need to start this player.

Thanks.
Nadahar

Re: is UMS also a render itself?

Post by Nadahar »

UMS isn't a renderer, a renderer must have playback capabilities. Most renderers are "hardware devices" in some shape or form.

I'm not sure why you'd want to play video on a RPi, is it at all up to the task? There aren't a lot of working software renderers, you'll find many (often abandoned) projects implementing some part of it, but there's nothing I've found yet I'd really recommend. I use software renderers for testing, and I primarily use Kodi. VLC also has some renderer capabilities, but both Kodi and VLC has a quite "shallow" implementation that doesn't support too much of what's in the standards. For audio I use foobar2000, which seems to have quite a decent audio renderer implementation.

MPlayer is only used to decode DVDs, although MEncoder is used for transcoding, just like FFmpeg and to some extent VLC. tsMuxeR can also be used for "transcoding", although only when only remuxing is needed and for certain codec/formats.
puchrojo

Re: is UMS also a render itself?

Post by puchrojo »

UMS is open source, so you can write this information here:
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

I really don't like, wenn a comparison has no negative item. I allready install the software to see that they don't have a render.

thanks