Question about Universal Media Server

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Kanerigas

Question about Universal Media Server

Post by Kanerigas »

I've recently started using Universal Media Server 7.8.0 to stream video from my PC to my PS4 over my wifi. In the status tab in UMS under "Detected media renderers" I see my PS4, but I also see a Nokia N900, which nobody in the house uses, two PS3s (we have one but it's not turned on) and another "unknown renderer".

So what I'm wondering is, since this is set up over my wifi, does that mean all these devices are connected to it and I need to change my password? Or is UMS somehow able to see devices that could connect to the wifi?

Update: I went into my wifi router controls. Neither of the PS3s show up as connected devices and when I do a MAC address lookup for the device showing in UMS as a Nokia N900, it comes back as a Nintendo product (possibly my Switch?). I'm very confused.
Nadahar

Re: Question about Universal Media Server

Post by Nadahar »

UMS might misidentify devices, identification is based on quite basic logic (like matching parts of the User-Agent sent by the device). What it should not do, is find devices that's not actually there. If you look at the IP addresses shown in the UMS GUI, corresponding UPnP capable devices should exist on your local network. I've seen misidentifications with with the Nokia 900 before, so I suspect that the "match rules" for the Nokia 900 is way too generic and could lead to a lot of "false positives".