Suddenly cannot detect TV as a renderer

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
glazze

Suddenly cannot detect TV as a renderer

Post by glazze »

Hey!

Before the summer I barely had any problems using UMS to "stream" to my TV. When I got home after the summer, my TV suddenly wouldn't show up in UMS and vice versa.
Since then I've postponed trying to fix the issue, but I felt that its time now. After trying to fix the issue for a couple of hours, I've realized that my limited knowledge of networking isn't enough so here I am.

I have tried basiclly everything I can think of doing. Resetting the TV to factory settings did not work. Doing a clean reinstall of UMS did nothing. However, I tried a factory reset on my router which worked last night. When I sat down today it already stopped working, so back to square one. If I enable the built in DLNA server of the router, it shows up on both the TV and the PC which makes me believe there's something wrong with the connection between my router and my PC, or the router and my TV. Both are connected via ethernet to the router, so that shouldn't be the issue. I've looked in the Windows firewall to see if theres a port-forwarding missing, but I can't find anything obvious. Please help me :)

Kind regards,
Glazze
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(60.1 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Nadahar

Re: Suddenly cannot detect TV as a renderer

Post by Nadahar »

No port-forwarding is needed for UMS to work, that is only needed to allow other devices/computers on the internet to access your internal network. Incoming local access is needed though, and the simplest way to test if the problem is with the firewall is by temporarily disabling Windows firewall and test.

If that doesn't help, your router could be causing it if it blocks multicast packets. Most routers block multicast packets (and only the more "advanced" ones even allow you to configure things like that), so usually going through a router is a no-go. That said, most routers also have a (often 4 port) switch embedded. The router doesn't interfere with the signals going between the ports in the switch, so if that's how you use it, it should work just fine. The easiest way to see if the signals have to be routed or not, is to check if the UMS computer and the renderer has IP addresses that belong to the same IP subnet. If they are on the same IP subnet, the router isn't involved and it should work just fine.
glazze

Post by glazze »

Both the renderer and the UMS computer have IP adresses starting with 192.168.10, which I assume mean that they are in the same subnet?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If your subnet mask is "the usual" (255.255.255.0 or /24 depending on which form you use), yes. If you use a different mask, they might not be on the same subnet, but they most probably are. Using one of the online "calculators" makes it very easy to see: http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
Last edited by Nadahar on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
glazze

Post by glazze »

I use 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask. If I read the calculator correctly, they should be in the same subnet then I guess. Any clue on what to do next?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, check that UMS use the correct NIC/IP address (General tab) and if that isn't it, try to completely disable Windows firewall for a test.
glazze

Post by glazze »

NIC/IP address should be correct, it's the same as the UMS computers IP. Disabling Windows firewall did not help.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I looked in your log, and it seems to me that the correct NIC/IP is used (192.168.10.128). There is only communication with one other device in the log, and that is 192.168.10.1, which is a UPnP-enabled router:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2019-10-28 19:39:00.139 [cling-5] net.pms.network.UPNPControl Ignoring remote device: InternetGatewayDevice (RemoteDevice) Identity: (RemoteDeviceIdentity) UDN: uuid:67550dc3-0d18-497a-9134-e462625dd955, Descriptor: http://192.168.10.1:5000/rootDesc.xml, Root: true
That means that the firewall is probably not your problem (as it wouldn't have seen the router) and that the packets from your renderer never seems to reach UMS. That makes it likely that the problem is not with the UMS installation or the computer running UMS, but somewhere else in your network (router, renderer or cables).
glazze

Post by glazze »

That's good I guess. Any suggestions what I should check next?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Not really, it's hard to remote-diagnose unknown equipment ;) From your log it seems that the computer uses wired network. Is the renderer also using a wired connection, or is it using wireless? If it's on wireless, the problem is almost certainly with your router. It doesn't have to mean that your router is bad, it could be a configuration issue, but it's strange if this "happened suddenly" when it used to work.

One thing I would ask myself is what: What changed around the time that it stopped working? Did you update your TV, your router, your Windows etc, or was there some other change?

If that doesn't lead you anywhere, try to find some other device that can function as a renderer and see if you can get that to work. Another computer running Kodi or VLC could be used, or an Android device running BubbleUPnP. There are similar software for iOS, although I don't know their names. Seeing if another renderer works over the same network would at least indicate whether the problem is with the router or the renderer.