hard-coded subtitles not rendering

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: hard-coded subtitles not rendering

Post by Nadahar »

vreebler wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:07 am What other thread? something from github?
The thread I linked to above where another user had made a configuration for a "Dish Hopper" device: viewtopic.php?t=292

Devices from the same manufacturer are often quite similar, so there's a good chance that many of the options are already set correctly in this file so that the modifications you have to do are as few as possible.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

I recommend starting out by downloading the file from the other thread.
Still wanting to know what file. Thanks for the clarity on the transcoded files.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I can only see one conf file for download in that thread: download/file.php?id=1108
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

Thanks Nadahar. I didn't know about that thread, whatever it is. But now I've downloaded that file and will have a look and probably load it up tomorrow.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

Looking at UMS.conf I have two, one in the UMS program files folder and one in the ProgramData\UMS folder. My usual tactic with replacing a conf or ini file with a newly downloaded one is to just rename the old one with an OLD suffix and rename the new one, in this case UMS Dish-Hopper.conf to the existing one in this case UMS.conf

Should I do that to both files?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This isn't the "main" configuration file (UMS.conf), this is a renderer configuration file. You will find those in the "renderers" sub-folder where you have installed UMS. Just put it in that folder, together with all the others that's already there.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

OK thanks, done. I can't check it until the next time I can control that TV, likely tomorrow. :lol:
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

Checking the new Dish Hopper config, no luck. First, sitting at my pc, everything worked on the Web interface as usual, i.e. no subtitles. Then, on the TV, I could get as far as looking at Vids/TVshows and then it stalled, wouldn't bring up anything. I'm almost done with my efforts on this for now, unless someone wants to do a remote session via Teamviewer, or your choice.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I never said that it would work if you used that configuration. I said it would be a good starting point for you making your own. It seems that you just read parts of what I write, so I keep having to repeat myself. Life is too short for that IMO.

Nobody can help you via TeamViewer or any other remote tool, because the problem is that what the renderer configuration states must match the capabilities of your renderer. That's not possible to determine by accessing the computer only, there's two ways to determine the capabilites: 1) Find documentation that specifies, in detail, what it supports (many manufacturers don't bother to make such documentation). 2) Test, see what works and not, and modify the configuration accordingly.

Nobody else can do that for you unless they have the same renderer themselves.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

OK I see what you mean about remote and the tv renderer, not possible. Sorry, I must've glossed over the link you gave to the Dish config thread. This stuff is mostly over my head, but I'll likely return to it after my more pressing problems are better. Thanks again!