Some confusion concerning renderer configuration files.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
CardcaptorRLH85

Some confusion concerning renderer configuration files.

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

So, I've dug my old dusty Xbox out of storage to use as a stream receiver in a bedroom and I've upgraded its ancient final official build of XBMC for Xbox to the latest (3.1) stable build of XBMC4Xbox. I'm trying to learn how the renderer configuration files work because the default XBMC renderer file doesn't seem to convert certain files correctly for my Xbox to play them.

My primary configuration file question is, what is the 'MPEGAC3' video codec? I may be confused on this one but I've always thought that MPEG and AC3 were separate entities and, more importantly, that AC-3 was an audio codec. Maybe I'll understand better when it's not almost 2:30 AM but for now I am quite lost. Sometime today I'll try to run some more through tests concerning which container/codec mixes play and which ones don't. Once I figure that out I should be able to post more complete data.

Thank you for any help I can get with making my decade old hardware pull its weight again ^_^
Skylion

Re: Some confusion concerning renderer configuration files.

Post by Skylion »

Thesewordsareseperateentities. Hope that helps you understand. :D
CardcaptorRLH85

Re: Some confusion concerning renderer configuration files.

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

Skylion wrote:Thesewordsareseperateentities. Hope that helps you understand. :D
Thanks, I've discovered why my videos don't play well on my original Xbox though. Since XBMC supports so many formats out of the box, UMS just streams most videos to it. This is fine for a PC with XBMC installed but not so much for an Xbox with limited processor power and RAM. Since most of my files are 720p those don't do so well over there ^_^ I may just build a simple media center PC for that room. Thanks for the assistance though.