So okay. Wierd thing; maybe you can help me figure out WHAT to fix so Universal Media Server'll find my PS3 again?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
maryadavies

So okay. Wierd thing; maybe you can help me figure out WHAT to fix so Universal Media Server'll find my PS3 again?

Post by maryadavies »

So okay. I noticed something weird this evening. I recently got a Mikrotik hAP Mini. I've been using it on my ps3, simply because it supports Wireless N and not Wireless G. Unfortunately, there's something funny with this mini-router's config that isn't letting Universal Media Server find the PS3. (It finds my PS4 fine.)

I've confirmed it's the hAP mini by switching back to the PS3's wireless and back..Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to stop this behavior? I'll get with a friend who is more familiar with these things so we can get it working, but I need to know what needs enabled, since Mikrotik stuff is a weird beastie.
Nadahar

Re: So okay. Wierd thing; maybe you can help me figure out WHAT to fix so Universal Media Server'll find my PS3 again?

Post by Nadahar »

The server and the renderer must be able to communicate using IP multicast in both directions for discovery to work reliably. Getting this to work between subnets is complicated, so the simple answer is: You must make sure they're on the same IP subnet. You can see this by looking at the IP address/mask combinations in use for the different devices, and make changes to your network so that they are all on the same subnet.
maryadavies

Re: So okay. Wierd thing; maybe you can help me figure out WHAT to fix so Universal Media Server'll find my PS3 again?

Post by maryadavies »

Thank you. I'll see if my friend can help, as I said, Mikrotik is a weird beastie and the op system it uses is..Not user friendly. My friend is good at it, but I don't want to tamper when I don't know what I'm doing. :)

I'm just figuring there's some setting on the Mikrotik that'll let it go though.