Nothing Changed, But UMS Suddenly Won't Play MKV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Brygmophyseter

Nothing Changed, But UMS Suddenly Won't Play MKV

Post by Brygmophyseter »

I have done nothing new, followed exact same steps I've been doing for years, but suddenly I have some new mkv files (converted using MKVToolNix) that UMS won't play.

They play fine on my pc, so I could watch them directly on my pc's small monitors, this is where the files are stored and it's a cable connection to my ps4.

However on my ps4, the sound plays, but the video stays blank. If I fast forward a bit, there is an image that appears, but it seems to not be able to move, it stays like it's been paused, with sound playing in the background.

The fact that everything else I've done exactly the same thousands of times before has me very confused?
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(369.14 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Last edited by Brygmophyseter on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: Nothing Changed, But UMS Suddenly Won't Play MKV

Post by Nadahar »

I'm pretty sure something changed, although you might not be aware of what changed. That doesn't mean it didn't change though. Maybe you updated UMS, or that it was updated automatically? New bugs are introduced routinely.

If you add debug files as described above, maybe somebody is able to see what is causing it.
Brygmophyseter

Post by Brygmophyseter »

Thanks, that's weird, I did attach the file originally.

Something may have changed without my knowledge, what I meant was, the steps that I take haven't, they've been identical. Also, the other files that I've checked are working fine as usual. It's just these ones.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That changes things significantly. Then it might be a problem with the files, or a problem with the renderer configuration. From what I can see, the "converted" files match this

Code: Select all

Matched support line f:mkv      v:h264         a:aac-lc|ac3|mp3
"h264" can mean a lot of different technical details, your renderer probably can't handle "everything" that classifies as h264. I can't see any parsing results in the log (this is a problem with UMS because of caching), so I have no idea of the details of the file. Can you please post MediaInfo output for one of the problematic files?

The profile level of the h264 video stream might be too high for the PS4 for example, but it doesn't seem like there's any level limit in the renderer configuration.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

In addition to what Nadahar said, can you please try updating UMS to the latest version? You are on 7.0.1