[Solved] PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
speckledegg

Re: PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

Post by speckledegg »

will that not be potentially risky, security-wise?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know what you mean - how is that risky? Do you mean because it doesn't have "the latest security updates"? That's to a large extent a hype the world like to sell to gullible consumers to make them accept all kind of unreasonable things.

UMS is "unsecure by design", just like any UPnP/DLNA server. UPnP/DLNA has no built-in access control, it will serve any device that can reach it. The idea is that you protect your home network with the firewall in your router, so that your "home devices" don't have to be armored. So, if there were some obscure change in Java that really made a difference, it still wouldn't play any role for UMS - as it has no "security functions" in the first place.

I still have Java 6, 7 and 8 (several different versions of them too), and I'm not the least bit worried. I don't run any Java software that handles anything security related or that is reachable from the Internet, so I simply don't see how that can pose any risk at all.
Last edited by Nadahar on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

fair enough - i'm a psychotherapist, not a software engineer so my computer knowledge is decent, but not expert. it does mean i have to be a little cautious due to patient confidentiality and whatnot.

anyway, I have installed UMS 7.9 and will test that throughout the day.

EDIT: Nope - didn't work - problem came back - stuttering.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

So are there any other ideas about how we might find out what's causing this issue?

It's definitely progressive - it gets worse as the day goes on.
It appears to be UMS or Java or Windows 10 or a combination of them related. The problem will get better if UMS is shut down, but only a reboot gets the system back to 'normal'

I'm happy to try any suggestions... reverting to older versions seems not to work.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm pretty much blank. If the effect remains after shutting down UMS, it must be something really strange - something that somehow resides in Windows itself. The strange thing is that many users have been running Windows 10 for a long time without reporting this, so unless this is the result of a recent update in Windows 10, it seems very strange.

Have you tried turning off Windows Defender and any other antivirus software while this is happening? It would be worth a shot to see if that made a difference, and that would indicate that something has changed there.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

I think Win 10 updates is a possibility, although I uninstalled the latest update and the problem persisted.

I'm running defender and malwarebytes. Both have execptions added to allow UMS, but I will try turning each off independently to rule them out.

I'll keep you updated.

It's really frustrating - I *really* don't want to use another program, cause I love UMS. :(
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

I may have figured this out. I disabled Malwarebytes yesterday and had a day without stuttering. I'm going to test it again today and see if the problem is gone.

BlackHamster - do you have Malwarebytes running?
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

I do, but I actually just installed it after the stuttering occurred in case some Malware was the cause.

I'll try turning it off later.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

It might be worth looking at the Java settings on Malwarebytes. Because I'm not a java expert at all, it might be something someone else knows - but I do know that turning off MWB seems to have solved the stuttering problem. My guess is there is definitely a conflict there.
BlackHamster

Post by BlackHamster »

Wow, I think you found the solution.
I had no issues today with Malwarebytes turned off.